Fast Primes with a D40??

D40

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I started looking at the fast Prime lens like the 50mm f/1.8 and hear they make great portrait lens but will they work well with the D40? I know I will have to manual focus them but other than that?

Starting to wish I had the D80??:(

Maybe I am not totally familiar with the prime lens. I have a D80 and the nikkor 50mm 1.8. The Nikkor 50mm 1.8 is AF and should fit on your D40 with no problems. Even the nikon lenses that are 40 years old will fit on the newest DSLR cameras. I am not familiar with the prime lens. Yes the 50mm is great for potraits and tons of other things, plus the 1.8 is great to work with DOF.

I'm a Canon guy...but I believe that the D40 is fully compatible with Nikon D-type lenses. HERE is a page with Nikkor prime lenses...and there seems to be plenty of D-type prime lenses.

Thanks, I like the 50mm for the speed and the price:) I am just not to happy about haveing to manually focus it.

I started looking at the fast Prime lens like the 50mm f/1.8 and hear they make great portrait lens but will they work well with the D40? I know I will have to manual focus them but other than that?

Starting to wish I had the D80??:(
Yep I imagine so. I am a total Nikon person but I think this is a pretty crappy thing Nikon pulled on their customers after having such a track record of total backwards compatibility of lenses.

The D40 is what it is. If you are really hurting for a fast, sharp prime focus lens for your D40, you can always get a Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM, which is an EXCELLENT "normal" lens that will work just fine on your D40... however, it is more expensive than the Nikon 1.8. It is faster, though... VERY fast, and sharp as a tack, and a lens you will use for years and years.

As some of you know I was looking at getting the Nikon 18-200mm for its all around usability but it is going to cost me $800 at least. I think it would be perfect for the average user but I would like to do work that I can get paid for eventually so I am starting to wander about it. I found the 24-85 f/2.8 for a little less and wander how that lens does? A lot is running threw my head right know:) I have close to $600 that will be growing of course. I need a flash SB800?? Better lens?? And if I hope to make money so I am thinking a D80 at least:( I could sell the D40 for a good price since it is not very old but that is a hassel and then would not be able to get a better lens or flash.

D40,

You do not need to buy a D80 to make money with your camera. If you really want a prime lens w/AF I suggest you buy the Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM as Sabbath recommended. You should know that although a prime lens might be great in a traditional portrait setting where people are willing participants they can be a real bear in the "field". People don't really like to spontaneously have a camera in their face because your lens is so wide that you have to get really close to fill the frame.

have a good one
3Eo

Thanks for the info, I am going to still look into getting the D80 so down the road I do not have to worry about lens selection. + If I sell my D40 now as it is still very new I can get enough to add to my camera saveings and I can afford the D80:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back