Fast shutter speed led to dark pictures?

a1157814a

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I wanted to set my camera to a fast shutter speed but then my picture came out really dark, so I set my ISO to 1600, I still didn't get the brightness I wanted, what can I do?

Have you tried setting the aperture to a lower number, like around 2.6? Did you change the metering?

Have you tried setting the aperture to a lower number, like around 2.6? Did you change the metering?

2.6? I think you meant F/2.8. :) There are lenses that can go down to F/1.4, and some more exotic ones that can do F/1 !

There are 4 things that dial in the exposure of a picture:

- shutter speed. Slower = lets in more light = brighter pics
- aperture. bigger opening = lets in more light = brighter pics
- ISO. higher = increased sensitivity = brighter pics
- augmented artifical light = more light = brighter pics.

The down side to all this:
- too slow shutter speed = motion blur
- too large an aperture = shallow DOF
- too high an ISO = increased noise
- additional costs/complexity/knowledge needed for best results and it still has a limited range (you cannot light a large area unless you have a ton of money and a LOT of lights properly placed and know how to do it).

One could mix and match all of these to get the shot, and in the end, the limitations will be your equipment. Lower quality lenses are slow, lower quality cameras are very dirty at high ISO and lower quality lights can light a limited area or offer basically crappy results (like with on camera flash, for example).

Choose your poison, do what you need to get the shot.

BTW, this is hardly beyond the basics, and really didn't belong here. ;)

Perhaps a kind mod could be persuaded to move this for us?
(thank-you kindly! :D )

2.6? I think you meant F/2.8. :) There are lenses that can go down to F/1.4, and some more exotic ones that can do F/1 !

Ah, you caught me:) I should check what I post.
But basically everything in this post is awesome advice, and if that doesn't help then I have no idea what you're doing wrong.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back