Fast walk-around lens?

rob40wilson03

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Guys im sure this has been discussed but finding a viable search query for it proved difficult....

but im looking for a good walk-around lens that i can use at night (or indoors with low light) with my rebel xsi..... i dont really like using the flash.... i have the canon 28-135 IS and i love it but it doesnt quite meet my low-light needs.... can you guys give me some good recommendations please?

thank you very much!

ps. my piggy bank is slightly malnourished......

It's not a zoom, but a nifty fifty will fit both a budget and 'fast'. I use a 50mm 1.4 almost exclusively, night and day shooting.

sigma make an 18-50mm F2.8 wich is good and cheap!

yeah i was thinking about the 50mm 1.4 (and almost bid on a MkI one on ebay) but then started second-guessing myself as to whether 50 mm would be wide enough to satisfy me.... i guess i should walk around with my lens at 50mm for a while and see if i would like it

and as for my flash preference, i really hate the pop-up flash and to be honest i have almost no experience with an external one

A 28mm f/2.8 works out to be a normal lens (~50mm).

Sigma has a 30mm f/1.4 for $430.

The sigma 30mm 1.4, is supposed to be better than the canon 28mm, but its also about the same price as a Sigma or Tamron(better reviews than sigma) 17-50 2.8, what makes more difference to you, 2 more stops, or a nice range of zoom?

You'll get far better results indoors with the 28-135 IS and a good external flash like the 430 or 580 and bouncing it off of walls or ceilings than you will with something like the 35mm f/2 and still shooting natural light, unless everything you'll be shooting stands still for you and you'll be able to use a slower shutter speed. Otherwise you'll still need high ISO whereas with a flash you can shoot at iso100 if you want and get very high quality photos.

My opinion of the 24-70 (of any brand) is that the focal range is too short to be a versatile walk around lens. I'm with Mav on this one. Learn to use a flash as both a primary light source (off shoe cord, bounce, diffuser) and as a fill flash will take you very far.

As for the OP, my opinion is to stick with the 28-135 IS as it is a very good walk around lens and supplement with a 35mm or 50mm prime AND a used flash.

You'll get far better results indoors with the 28-135 IS and a good external flash like the 430 or 580 and bouncing it off of walls or ceilings than you will with something like the 35mm f/2 and still shooting natural light, unless everything you'll be shooting stands still for you and you'll be able to use a slower shutter speed. Otherwise you'll still need high ISO whereas with a flash you can shoot at iso100 if you want and get very high quality photos.

that's a great suggestion except for the fact that i feel like most of the time i would use my camera in situations where i would need either an external flash with the 28-135, or something like the 35mm, are times when i'm probably out and about doing other things too.... meaning the weight advantage of the 35mm would rule out the 28-135 + external flash

I'm with Mav & Usayit.

Look into a flash and learn how to use it. For low light situations, the 35mm f/2 will help a little, but a 430EX will help a LOT. I'd start there, then save up for a prime if you feel you need something that weighs less.

I agree with Mav, YouSayIt and Keith204. A basic flashgun can help with your photos a lot, and can almost be as natural as sunlight when you use it correctly. Try going to http://strobist.blogspot.com/ and looking at the "Lighting 101" section. Of course, experiment as well. Good luck!

If you "must" get a lens and do not want flash ... Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 for little over $200 through Amazon.

Sigma and Tamron also have others in range of 17mm to 75mm such as 17-50 and 28-70 (75?). Do not remember their exact range. I believe all of them in the $350-$500 range. Most are f/2.8 all the time.

Most reactions

Back