TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.theshutteredeye.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
80755783.jpg

Set the timer and dash!!

I agree with Chase. And you look a whole lot less scary than pictured in your av. :biggrin:

Very very nice family photo.

Would you write some words on how did you shoot this? Thanks

I love it. I remmeber your Christmas one and the baby was SO little! Happy family ya got there. ;)

Thanks everyone. I am a blessed man, that is for sure. Thanks for looking!

Very very nice family photo.

Would you write some words on how did you shoot this? Thanks

Setup was easy. I had the camera on a tripod, assembled the girls, focused and then hit the shutter release on timer mode. Then all hell broke loose as I had 10 seconds to make a mad dash to rock, get settled, then distract the baby in the general direction of the camera, then freeze! Smile!:lmao:

Setup was easy. I had the camera on a tripod, assembled the girls, focused and then hit the shutter release on timer mode. Then all hell broke loose as I had 10 seconds to make a mad dash to rock, get settled, then distract the baby in the general direction of the camera, then freeze! Smile!:lmao:

LOL, hilarious! Thats exactly what happened for my Christmas portrait last year, but there were 4 kids to deal with! Its fun doing timed portraits, isn't it. ;-)

Thanks. Did you used a flash? And, what about the post processing steps? Did you do some major adjustments?

Thanks. Did you used a flash? And, what about the post processing steps? Did you do some major adjustments?

No fill flash, but we were facing the setting sun.

Post processing was the EASY part, LOL!! First I adjust wb, contrast, brightness and exposure in RAW. After converting RAW to a TIFF file, I convert to LAB mode where in the 'lightness' channel I adjust contrast again (doing it this way keeps from changing color and saturation properties while adjusting contrast, MUCH better way to do it.) Also in the 'lightness' channel I apply USM, (225% 0.5 pixels, 5 threshold.) After that, use the eliptical marquee tool, blended to 250 pixels, to select an oval area including all of us. Invert, then again in the 'lightness' channel adjust brightness to -35 or so, contrast to +10--this adds a vignette effect. Now, convert back to RGB mode, and copy the background layer. In the copy layer, apply a multiply layer and blend to taste. Then, still in the copy layer, make another copy and apply guassian blur to 8-9 pixels. It looks like a lot, but don't worry we're going to recapture the detail next. Create a layer mask, and apply the 'find edges' tool. In the layer mask adjust levels until you get a nice black and white sketch of the details, (this layer mask essentially erases the blur in the guassian layer, helping retain detail.) Next I make the original background layer 'not visible,' so I can merge all other visible layers, which I name 'effect' layer. In the effect layer I use the eraser tool set to 25% opacity, 13% flow and between 400-700 pixel size and erase the effect over faces, hands, etc. Make the background layer visible again, and titrate the opacity of the effect layer to be pleasing to the eye and flatten.

See, much easier than getting a baby to look at a camera with no one to attract her attention.:lmao::lmao:

Thanks a lot ShutteredEye, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I am doing also quite a lot of things (in Gimp) so I'm familiar with your steps (exept of converting different modes, like LAB). What I never did before is so many steps for 1 photo, but it's time to experiment a bit more (and invest much more time-what I don't have). The result of your steps is fantastic for me!

Most reactions

Back