Faux Pas

Luminosity

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I made one of these today :lol:

I called the b/f today and , at one point , was talkin to his mum.....

I sent her an e-card during their Chanukkah ( yeah yeah I know ... I'ma suck gunnin for brownie points :lol: ) ....and titled it : Dear Mr and Mrs 'insert surname here ' and when she replied back she ended her email with her given name.

So I kinda took my cue from that , I guess , on how she wants to be addressed...

Well , today when I greeted her on the phone I said " Hi 'insert given name here' ...how are you ?"

My b/f said later " I cant believe ya called her by her first name " :LOL:
Because its sorta the thing they go by , until ya meet someone and they tell ya to just use their first name.

Which I sometimes do with ppl. Depending ....

I'm like " Oops.....ehhhh ......" :oops:

In Aus , well at least in my experience anyway , when it comes to addressing ppl ya meet on a non-professional level , we're pretty laid-back on using just first names.

So I guess I slipped into Aussie-Mode :lol: :shock:

So ... do tell .... what faux pas' have any of ya made ..... ( c'mon .. make me feel like I have company ...:LOL: )

I would have done the same, Tina! In New England it's pretty relaxed about how you address people. My father hates being Mr. Power, and will always correct people and say "Just call me Dave". My friends always introduce their children to me as "Alison" so I go by their first names for my children too. At school it's "Miss insertfirstname" no last names are used.

Aubrey always gets the look of death when he calls a woman ma'am up here. He does however get points for opening the car door for women :D I thnk it all goes back to the region of the country you were raised in.

I know a girl who's name is Andy short for "Andyson"? I don't know what Andy is short for? Anyway. We wre talking and I sarcastically said something to her and at the end said "Andrew!". She was peeved. Never really liked her anyway.

Not quite the same but don't worry, they will forget about it before you do.

I've made so many faux pas', I wouldn't know where to start! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back