Faux-Pro photographer rant and catch-22

Send her a few empty picture frames and tell her what a great grandson she made for you. Also stop the "step-" this and the "step-" that.

I don't think they're too bad. I've seen worse. :p

Send her a few empty picture frames and tell her what a great grandson she made for you. Also stop the "step-" this and the "step-" that.
hang them on a wall the catch lights will be even more obvious. Easier overlooking that kind of thing on a tablet or computer screen. :biglaugh:

Good enough pictures for your ex-step-daughter and for memories of his youth.
Be thankful the photographer didn't buy a "gee-whiz-bang" f/1.4 lens yet.

So, here's my problem. Do I tell her as I have after the first set of shots they are all good pictures, etc? Or do I tell her the truth?
I always blurt out the unpopular truth.

Is she sending you the photos sets for critic, to see the grandson, or to select the ones you want prints of?

they were shot using a 5DmII and a 24-70 2.8L. They were shot at f/3.5, should have been f/5.6 to prevent the DOF issues.

just want to get this in again: the catchlights aren't fake.

they were shot using a 5DmII and a 24-70 2.8L. They were shot at f/3.5, should have been f/5.6 to prevent the DOF issues.

just want to get this in again: the catchlights aren't fake.
Why are you repeating this to me ?

they aren't faux catchlights.

Myself, I don't care for the catchlight. But if the customer who's forking over the money for them is happy, then we're not in any position to judge them.

Time to move on and go shoot something.

Should you be sitting at the table when the waiter brings out the proscuitto blanco for your family, would you begin to comment on the region of the pig from which the proscuitto was taken? And why that was so completely incorrect for making "proper" proscuitto blanco? Why the aging of the meat was so vastly inferior to other proscuitto's you've had served in Parma? If no one else at the table had said anything about the proscuitto? If someone other than you were paying for the meal?

Really, you are tearing apart something that doesn't need comment. And you are blowing it completely out of proportion if you have reached the point of asking a photography forum about the issue. There are times when you are allowed to make a comment. Basically, when you are asked to do so. And there are times when you simply keep your mouth shut. Basically, all the other times.

Unless you have been asked to critique the photographer's work, shut up and be happy with the new addition to your family. Don't mention you will never display any photos of the child since you are insulted by their very existence. If you wish to have a happy relationship with this side of the family going forward, realize no one asked for your opinion and, therefore, no one desires to hear your hyper-criticism of the photos. If the mother is not asking, you shouldn't be talking.

I would agree with the idea of locating a high end photographer and paying them for their services. They should be for a formal family portrait which will be a keepsake. Give the session as a gift with your best - your very best - wishes and tell how much you've enjoyed having the photos of the child. THE CHILD! Remember? You've been sent photos of "THE CHILD"!

Really?! You can look at that face and only notice catchlights?! Good Grief!

Did she get one of those packages where they get repeat sessions as the child gets older? If she did I don't know that she'd want to switch photographers now.

These don't seem to be great but not the worst either so I suppose it depends on your relationship; you may be able to say something about the quality if you can figure out how to say it in a tactful way. But as long as she gets some photos where the kid looks cute she might be happy with that.

And he is a cute little guy, although in a few of the photos I don't think he looks too happy. And doesn't look like he's sitting too comfortably in a couple of those, the one that's a wooden u shaped seat and the white chair (even if there's an adult close by that looks too high for a child that age).

I think the pictures look fine. Sure they could be better, but what is the real point that you're trying to make?

That this photographer isn't worth of taking pictures for money? Or not worthy of taking pictures of your ex-step grandchild? I don't work for free and don't expect other people too. We all start somewhere and need practice to improve. This photographer put time and effort into these photos. There is nothing Faux about this photographer.

Looking at these pictures, I can see myself doing worst without actually trying.

Though, I would have maybe positioned the softbox a big higher and probably have used a rectangular one or an octagon-shaped softbox for the catchlight, I agree that the perfect square is sooooooo anoying.

Earlier this AM I sent the photographer an e-mail...in that e-mail I even took an educated guess that she was using a 50x50 inch Westcott softbox,and I provided her with the URL at B&H Photo of the one I thought she was using.

I just heard back from her. Yep...she said my guess was correct...Westcott 50x50 inch softbox. And 100% REAL catchlights.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back