Favorite 4/3rds Micro Lens?

katsrevenge

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just impulse bought a Olympus Pen. It hasn't arrived yet... but I'm looking to pick up a couple of primes, maybe a longer zoom for it. Nothing serious or pricey, I just want something small I can leave in my bag. It's just a body and I'm not going to bother getting the kit lens.

So, what lenses does everyone like and use?

I ordered a 35mm f/1.7 CCTV lens. For 20 bucks, I'll try it.
I keep reading that the Sigma 19mm F2.8 Art Lens is amazing.
The Sigma AF 18-125mm f3.5-5.6 is apparently a decent zoom, yes?
Any suggestions for a wide or fisheye lens? Or a decentish pancake lens?

Also... anyone use a SLR Magic 26mm f/1.4 Toy Lens? I really like the idea to play around with but it seems like it just might be one of those CCTV things with colored rings....

On my Lumix I either use the Olympus 45 mm or the Panasonic 27mm pancake. Both low cost and high quality.

About a year ago or more, I read a fantastic Kirk Tuck post on the 45mm Panasonic lens on the 4/3 format cameras. He was really, really into the 45mm lens and how versatile it was, as well as how well it performed. It was both a normal AND a telephoto type lens for him, depending on camera-to-subject distance.

There is such a thing as a versatile lens; some lenses are NOT versatile, and are ALWAYS, always, always "one thing", like say a 10mm uber-wide lens, or a 300mm telephoto; those focal lengths will ALWAYS create 1) wide-angle shots or 2)telephoto shots. What Kirk showed was the way the 45mm lens allowed tewo different types of "looks", based mostly on camera-to-subject distance used.

The 45 looks interesting. I can't find a 27mm Panasonic, only a 14mm and 20mm? There is a Fujifilm one though..

Derrel.. Yeah, I really only want to get one or maybe two 'decent' lens for this lil guy. It's not going to replace my DSLR, just my phone. Something versatile like that is best.

I basically keep just primes on my DSLR these days. I was carrying around a wide angle zoom, but it never seems to come out of the bag. I freaking love my 35mm on that thing.

Sorry, I meant the 20mm Panasonic. It's low cost, compact and super sharp.

Also, I bought the Olympus 45 rather than the Panasonic 45, simply because the Panasonic 45 was not available at that time. I've since moved to Fuji bodies, but still use the GX7 with the 20 mm as a compact everyday camera.

Define small and cheap?

The Oly 14-150 f/4-5.6II is pretty good..good range, decent pictures. I also like the Oly 17mm f/1.8. The Oly 45 f/1.8 is really nice, as well, but you might want something wider.

There's a good forum where people post their photos with specific lenses here. You can get an idea of how images will look.

I can also recommend the 17mm f1.8, that will give your 35mm equivalent. And for the price, like @waday mentioned, the 14-150 is a great little zoom lens thats not expensive, especially if you go the used route. It has a nice wide range good for traveling.

Define small and cheap?

The Oly 14-150 f/4-5.6II is pretty good..good range, decent pictures. I also like the Oly 17mm f/1.8. The Oly 45 f/1.8 is really nice, as well, but you might want something wider.

There's a good forum where people post their photos with specific lenses here. You can get an idea of how images will look.

Under 200 bucks, if possible. Small enough to fit in a large purse or in one of those leather hipster-looking camera outfits, LOL.

Thanks for the link and the advise. Wish they did this with Nikon lenses!

I can also recommend the 17mm f1.8, that will give your 35mm equivalent. And for the price, like @waday mentioned, the 14-150 is a great little zoom lens thats not expensive, especially if you go the used route. It has a nice wide range good for traveling.

Yeah a 17mm is on the list. :)
It looks like a very good choice! And I always go used, if I can. :)

Define small and cheap?

Under 200 bucks, if possible. Small enough to fit in a large purse or in one of those leather hipster-looking camera outfits, LOL.

Thanks for the link and the advise. Wish they did this with Nikon lenses!

Yeah a 17mm is on the list. :)
It looks like a very good choice! And I always go used, if I can. :)

You'll love the 17mm. Sharp, great IQ and VERY fast.

I can understand this from asking my wife to hold my lenses for me. :p The 17 mm is like the size of a racquetball, so very portable. There's also a 14-42 f/3.5-5.6 which is like a pancake lens... it's about an inch thick. I haven't tried it, but it seems very portable.

the 45mm f1.8 is an amazing lens, as is the 75mm f/1.8
The 75 has an almost cult like following, which is kinda crazy. I have yet to try it, but considering the hype that others have given it, I would assume it to perform very well, haha.

I can understand this from asking my wife to hold my lenses for me. :p The 17 mm is like the size of a racquetball, so very portable. There's also a 14-42 f/3.5-5.6 which is like a pancake lens... it's about an inch thick. I haven't tried it, but it seems very portable.

The 75 has an almost cult like following, which is kinda crazy. I have yet to try it, but considering the hype that others have given it, I would assume it to perform very well, haha.

I almost always have a bag on me, lol. I used to carry around one of those little compact cameras all of the time years ago, and often carry my DLSR these days. Something smaller will be handy, I think. Racquetball size sounds good.

Only time B 'plays' with my camera stuff is if I switch a lens and ask him to hold one while I fiddle with the other. Lucky for me he is tolerant and loving and will hold it with a bemused look on his face.

Which 75mm? Or is it just the length on this format that people like?

I almost always have a bag on me, lol. I used to carry around one of those little compact cameras all of the time years ago, and often carry my DLSR these days. Something smaller will be handy, I think. Racquetball size sounds good.

Only time B 'plays' with my camera stuff is if I switch a lens and ask him to hold one while I fiddle with the other. Lucky for me he is tolerant and loving and will hold it with a bemused look on his face.

Which 75mm? Or is it just the length on this format that people like?

He's talking about the Olympus 75mm f1.8. Very sharp, fast lens. Great for indoor sports and venues that have low light like concerts. Also great for portrait shots.

He's talking about the Olympus 75mm f1.8. Very sharp, fast lens. Great for indoor sports and venues that have low light like concerts. Also great for portrait shots.

Ah, got ya. Looks nice, but well over the budget for what I can spend.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back