Favorite Books/Novels

Geronimo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was wondering what is your favorite book or novel you have read? Maybe even want you consider the 10 best novels. Just looking for new authors or something.

I just finished reading Dude, Where's My Country? by Michael Moore, and it was great. Highly recommended.

If you're into philosophy, might I suggest Worlds In Collision by Immanual Velikowsky. It's 50 or so years old. An amazing book.

I don't remember who wrote it but my favorite novel is "The Charm School". It's about Russian spies and stuff. Great book.

Nelson Demille wrote it. Gotta love Amazon.

im 100 pages into the bourne identity.

NOTHING LIKE THE MOVIE. 8 MILLION TIMES BETTER.

md

On the lighter, the most recent book I read was "I'm a stranger here myself" by Bill Bryson. If I ever return to the states, I gonna end up like that fellow! :lol:

Timewise, I prefer short stories. Ain't got time for absorbing 500+ pages.

I really loved reading books from Fred Chappel, particularly "Brighten the Corner where you live".

Oh science fiction, Ray Bradbury and Isaac A for science fiction. Prolly prefer bradbury. Andres Dubus (not Andres Dubus III) is quite good, but too depressing for my tastes but Beautiful in its loniless - Dancing after hours. Also Flannery O'Connor for short stories. Her humour is sometimes a bit too sharp for me, but its good stuff. Ah, and Arundhati Roy- God of Small Things.

I've read some Budhist stuff (tibetan book of the dead, bits of "7 story mountain" by Merton, Hare Krishna writings) and some offbeat esoteric stuff lately too.

Does this include technical manuels as well?

Project Gutenberg is the Internet's oldest producer of free electronic books (eBooks or etexts). Our present collection of more than 10.000 eBooks was produced by hundreds of volunteers. Most of the Project Gutenberg eBooks are older literary works that are in the public domain in the United States. All may be freely downloaded and read, and redistributed for non-commercial use

http://www.gutenberg.net/

MDowdey said:
im 100 pages into the bourne identity.

NOTHING LIKE THE MOVIE. 8 MILLION TIMES BETTER.

md

I just finished that last week and half way thru the Bourne Supremacy now. Thanks all for hte suggestions, just trying to explore more my usual haunts and authors.

Orie's Favorite Books and Authors:

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin (currently a trilogy, we've been waiting for book 4 for a couple years now. Hurry up George!) The books are A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords. Really amazing, I've never loved a book series so.

Most anything by John Irving.

The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, especially the first couple books. Later ones, eh... coulda been better.

Most anything by Carl Sagan.

Since being in school my reading has turned to a bit lighter books. I've read all of Harlan Coben's books, I think his Myron series was good, but I preferred the older ones vs. the newer ones.

I liked Midwives by Chris Bohaljin (spelling on the last name is off here).
Buffalo Soldiers by the same author was also good. Transsister Radio was also good, it's one of his older ones.

Theory of Relativity by I can't remember at the moment....

I haven't personally read Bill Brysons books but I have heard they are excellent, I think I will add them to my summer reading list.

I also follow the Sue Grafton alphabet series but wasn't thrilled with her last one. I've heard her new one is better.

Vonn , I've been thinkin of reading the Tibetan Book of the Dead ...you just reminded me to get a copy ....

I've been a major bookworm since I could hold a book lol , got heaps of faves but narrowed are :

* 'The Bronze Horseman' By Paulina Simmons ( 1st of a two book set)

* 'The Bridge to Holy Cross' By Paulina Simmons ( sequel to 'The Bronze Horseman' ...its rare for a book and its characters to feel REAL to me and these two books did that to me !)

* ( EDIT ) I forgot to add 'Tully' By Paulina Simmons

* 'The Green Mile' By Stephen King

* 'The Power of One' By Bryce Courtney

* 'Tandia' By Bryce Courtney ( Sequel to 'The Power of One' )

* 'The Day After Tomorrow ' By Alan Folsom

* 'Divine Secrets Of The Ya-Ya Sisterhood' By Rebecca Wells

* The Mayfair Witches series By Anne Rice ( 3 books )

List goes on ...

Vonn , I've been thinkin of reading the Tibetan Book of the Dead ...you just reminded me to get a copy ....

its really a tough read, i had to read about 3 different translations before it made any sense to me, but its really amazing once you get the 'gist' of it!

this website about it was quite useful for me:
http://reluctant-messenger.com/tibetan-book-of-the-dead.htm

Is it one of those books that , once you understand it , changes your way of thinking ( if only slightly at best ) ?

It can change the way you look at death (that is, if you are not partically attach do any idealology of life after death)

Basically the book of the dead is a peem/prayer recited during the death of a person - kinda like the last rites. Its an instruction manual of what you can expect as you pass from the physical doorway of life into the spiritual planes. Its both frightening and full of bliss. There are 7 stages described in this process. Not easy reading (even though the text isn't long) but quite worth hacking away at if you are into that kinda stuff ;)

Most reactions

Back