Favorite lenses for weddings

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by bogleric, Jul 15, 2006.

1. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

I am interested in knowing what everyones favorites lenses are for weddings.

I am looking at getting some new lenses that are faster which are listed below. I have considered third party in the past but never actually gone that route.
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens[/FONT]

My Current favorite is the 28 - 105 f/4 but there are some clear limitations to this.

2. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    those two lenses are part of the 'terrific trio' (or whatever you want to call it) for weddings. the 16-35 2.8, the 24-70 2.8, and the 70-200 2.8L IS. you obviously should pick a lens depending on your style of shooting. if you have a good longer range lens with a fairly large max aperture (like a 135 f2) and you don't really shoot long range very much, then the 70-200IS might not be that important. I was skeptical about the IS being that great until I tried it. it is amazing. i've had keepers from shooting at 200mm at 1/30th, which is incredible. i would strongly recommend the 70-200IS if you know you'll shoot long range.

what other lenses do you have?

3. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

I have an 18-55 kit lens which I never use. I think it feels cheap and doesn't perform all that well.

I also have a 28-105 USM that is f3.5-4.5, not an L, but when a flash can be used is actually quite sharp and performs well. I like the versatile range of the zoom. Then I have a 75 - 300 which I only use for outdoor photography, mainly when I am out hiking in the woods. This is the USM and not the crappy one, but not an L either. Doesn't perform very well above 200mm, but it was not so expensive and therefore good to wander with in the woods.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For zoom lenses...those are two of the best. I've been told by many that the 24-70 F2.8 L is the wedding lens. Although it might be a bit long on your camera (I assume it's a Rebel/XT/20D/30D). An alternative to that lens would be the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS.

It's said to be nearly as sharp as an 'L' lens and it's got the benefit of a constant wide aperture and IS. Although IS on a lens that short is not as big a benefit as it on longer lenses. The major drawback to this lens is that it's an EF-S and will only fit the cameras I listed. It will not work on a full frame digital, should you one day decide to upgrade. That's a big drawback for a lens that is quite expensive.

5. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love the fisheye, the 85 mm, and the 70-200 for the ceremony, but the 35 mm, the 50 mm, and the fish for receptions.

6. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I currently use the following:
    -20mm
    -100mm Macro
    -50mm
    -70-200 2.8L IS

I would say that nearly all of them get used at every wedding. Love the macro for the detail shots and the DOF is very nice. The 20mm I use for scene setting at the church and for larger groups. The 70-200 I use during the ceremony to get close ups when I can't be close and the 50mm gets the most use for small group formals and the reception.

7. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

I used to use a 50mm f/1.4 but I like the 85mm f/1.8 much more. I love that lens.

I have a 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 but for that range I prefer the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS.

Sometimes an EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6

8. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    24-70mm 2.8 L for most shots (90%), 70-200mm 2.8 L IS for some, 50mm 1.8 - just got (haven't shot a wedding since I got it but am TOTALLY looking forward to using it since it's an awesome lens and a Sigma 17-35mm 2.8 for those really wide shots (a few per wedding)

9. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I didn't do many weddings, but those are the two I used the most. But then I use them 99+% of the time anyway.

10. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    50mm/1.4 and 24/1.4.

I'd like to add an 85mm soon.

11. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I should add that it was when I was doing film. If I were doing weddings now with my digital, I'd want at least a 35mm.

12. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit

I use my Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Sigma 28 f/1.8, and Canon 85 f/1.8 the most. I've been very happy with the Sigma lenses (that 28mm will close focus at about 4 cm.). There is no doubt in my mind that they are as sharp as similar lenses made by Canon. The only issue may be that some folks say they don't auto-focus as well as Canon lenses, but that's a moot point for me as I hate Canon AF, and have installed manual focus screens in my 20D's. When I have tried them out on AF, it didn't seem to me to do any worse job than the Canon brand lenses do.