Favorite Photographer

James Van Der Zee, (SLEPT ON) I love the darkroom work he does. He made really complex yet simplistic layered photographs based in the Harlem Renaissance. He took portrait photography to the next level.

Joey Lawrence is inspiring -- and he's only 19!

Yeah he is pretty amazing. I don't know if he has still or just the knowledge of setting up the right lighting. He definitly is smart thought! Great guy.

I e-mailed him a while back telling him what great work he had. We exchanged a couple of e-mails. I couldn't believe he is only 19 though

~Michael~

I don't really know many photographers, but the guy whose pics inspired me to want to learn in Ross Halfin.

Steve McCurry is mah fave. I always love his photos. He doesn't really go crazy with DOF or ultra-wides or any other gimmicks. Just gorgeous composition, amazing colors and some of his best work was done on 35mm before the advent of photoshop. He just obviously spends a whole lot of time getting himself in the right place at the right time. Check out his website (stevemccurry.com) and read about his India gallery. Dude has been there 75 times!

I like Joey L's work too, and a few other more "modern" photographers, but sometimes there is just too much processing going on. I guess it's just the direction it has to go, and people obviously like the aesthetic.

I also like the straight-forward style of Elliott Erwitt, Cartier-Bresson and some of the other famous street photographers. And I also have a deep love for landscape, so Ansel Adams is up there, as is Galen Rowell.

Edit: I just re-looked at JoeyL's website after about 2 years, and the wow-factor is mostly gone. He has some fantastic images, but the whole artificial lighting thing in the African bush... any professional photographer worth his salt could take those photos in that situation. Granted, you'd have to get there first. But, he's still doing some cool stuff, especially considering his age.

Last edited:
any professional photographer worth his salt could take those photos in that situation. Granted, you'd have to get there first. But, [Joey is] still doing some cool stuff, especially considering his age.

That's my thing is his age...

~Michael~

Thanks. Anything worth going to. I went to PPA website and didn't see anything about the "convention?'

~Michael~

Jean Baudrillard - true post-modernism
He's always been one of my favourite theorists in sociology, but when he quit sociology to become a full time photographer I also discovered him as the excellent photographer he was. As he said when he left the sociology: "The photography is the ultimate post-modernism."

My favourite portrait photographer would be the Norwegian photographer Morten Krogvold.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back