Favorite photographers?

curiouslyadrift

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Who are your favorite photographers? And what type of photographer are they? I'm interested in sharing names so that I can see the work of some of the best.

Lately I have been fascinated with Lee friedlander's pics. One of my favorites is his self portait of him driving a truck.

walter23 said:

Witkin is one of my favourite photographers.
But so too are:
Les Krims
John Blakemore
Winston O. Link
Duane Michals
Jacob Riis
Angus McBean
Robert Mapplethorpe
Lee Friedlander
Walker Evans
and at least another 100.

Hertz van Rental said:
But so too are:
Les Krims
John Blakemore
Winston O. Link
Duane Michals
Jacob Riis
Angus McBean
Robert Mapplethorpe
Lee Friedlander
Walker Evans

Funny you should mention Les Krims, he was my teacher. Our styles are far from similar but his expertise and eye really helped. We often disagreed and sometimes argued subject matter but his teaching and guidance and style will always stay with me. I should see if he is still teaching would be nice to brush up.

tmpadmin said:
Hertz van Rental said:
But so too are:
Les Krims
John Blakemore
Winston O. Link
Duane Michals
Jacob Riis
Angus McBean
Robert Mapplethorpe
Lee Friedlander
Walker Evans

Funny you should mention Les Krims, he was my teacher. Our styles are far from similar but his expertise and eye really helped. We often disagreed and sometimes argued subject matter but his teaching and guidance and style will always stay with me. I should see if he is still teaching would be nice to brush up.

Your teacher? Wow! My envy knows no bounds. I actually communicated by post with Krims for a while in the early 90's. I was introduced to his work in the late 70's and I fell in love with his humour and head games.

I'm a complete neophyte to the world of photography as well, but one of my favorite photographs (and one that helped spur me toward the art) is "Stark Tree" by Wynn Bullock. I saw that and got me a camera. It's the one that laid bare to me the artistry of photography 8)

my fave photographers are Ansel Adams and also Alan Ross. i have just started doing photography (and loving it!!) so im not too familiar with many other photographers but i lov the traditional black and white landscape photos!! :)

Teru Kuwayama - He's shot for Life Magazine, National Geographic, and a bunch of others. I met him a few years ago, I have some of his prints, and we communicate every once in a while. I love his work.
Robert Frank
Eugene Smith
Henri Cartier Bresson
and a bunch of others

Most reactions

Back