Favorite Set-up?

I got sore neck already just by looking at the setup, imagining it hanging around my neck. I think just stick with my d40 and the kitlens instead of dumbbelling :). I would love to have that sinar 8x10P/350 for it's antique look.

Anyway why do you people like those heavy stuff?

I have to say the f2.8 70 - 200 IS is very heavy. But don't forget it is a very very nice piece of glass. And I have to say my f4 70 - 200 already gives me pretty good results in comparisson to kit lenses i've used.

Here's my favorite setup which I have actually shot handheld with decent shots but you get tired very fast!
My setup
Canon 40D, Canon EF 400 f/2.8 IS USM, Wimberly II gimbal head and 1.4 TC not shown.

IMG_0479.jpg

... again I see another white lens sneaking into the background, sneaky things ;)
and what is in that holder in the bottom - another hiding lens

A very nice setup - give me some months and I might have set-up that I am willing to show off :)

Ah I'd love to post photos of my stuff. But alas I have none.

*Drools*

On my wishlist.. but its going to be a while..

Could you happen to take a photo of your M8 next to your Canon dSLR?

How about 4 canon primes and a 1D next to a 4 rangefinder primes next to an M6? It was to demonstrate one reason why I moved away from the SLR system... The difference in size and weight is night and day.

294650379.jpg

How about 4 canon primes and a 1D next to a 4 rangefinder primes next to an M6? It was to demonstrate one reason why I moved away from the SLR system... The difference in size and weight is night and day.

294650379.jpg

I don't know whether to vomit or have an orgasm.

... again I see another white lens sneaking into the background, sneaky things ;)
and what is in that holder in the bottom - another hiding lens

A very nice setup - give me some months and I might have set-up that I am willing to show off :)

Guilty...My better half is getting annoyed with the equiptment clutter in the library( my unofficial office). I am mainly a wildlife photographer and as such have mainly longish lenses. The other white is a 100-400L and in the case is a 70-200 f/2.8L. But I do have a hankering now for a nice macro lens which means I will prolly get the 100 and go off the deepend again in that direction :lol:
But damn that 400 is sharp.
Mallards039copy.jpg

294650379.jpg
[/QUOTE]

one reason why I moved away from the SLR system... The difference in size and weight is night and day.

Indeed! Which is why I often still use all-in-one compact cams when I can get away with it. I'm not a mule!

So what happens when I show you the rest? ;-)

Like some of my other Canon stuff, the 24L, 135L, and the 85 went on the auction block to fund other stuff (kept the 50 f1.4).

Indeed! Which is why I often still use all-in-one compact cams when I can get away with it. I'm not a mule!

Yup.. The next time I break my back carrying photo equipment, I better be earning a paycheck.

Far be it from me to tell you, but if you're not sure, back away from the computer real slow, just in case....

erie

So what happens when I show you the rest? ;-)

Like some of my other Canon stuff, the 24L, 135L, and the 85 went on the auction block to fund other stuff (kept the 50 f1.4).

Yup.. The next time I break my back carrying photo equipment, I better be earning a paycheck.

Not considering medium or large format then, huh? My wife made fun of the 20x24 camera, even helped me set it up on the tripod, joking all the time, til she saw a 20x24 contact print, her jaw hit the floor.

erie

Not considering medium or large format then, huh? My wife made fun of the 20x24 camera, even helped me set it up on the tripod, joking all the time, til she saw a 20x24 contact print, her jaw hit the floor.

I have my choice of Pentax 645 or 67 as well. 645 is a wonderful "field" camera.

Prior to my move to lighter, more compact equipment, the enjoyment is realized at the end when I see the fruits of my hard work in a final print. Simply... put.. it was hard work. I couldn't carry all of it all the time. I couldn't meet my wife afterwards at the mall and still be comfortable. It gets in the way in both transit as well as shooting. You experience the world in tunnel vision. I couldn't carry it with me during my wife and I's rare dressed up dinner affairs.

With the rangefinder, the enjoyment is realized behind the camera, to the click of the shutter, to the processing, and to the final print. It becomes an extension of you rather than something you carry. This in fact is something that a medium or large cannot accomplish either. Yes.. better quality negative.. sure.. but soo many occasions to take photographs that would have otherwise been impossible with MF or LF (even an SLR).

For one... I was able to photograph the birth of my son AND participate at the same time. I actually have a photo of my son a minute or two before he was declared "born" taken during the cesarian section with the umbilical cord still connecting mother and child as the doctor passed him to the nurse. Again.. an opportunity otherwise impossible to take with any other camera but a rangefinder (or similar). That one photo is considered (in my mind) as my masterpiece. It was taken "blindly" with my camera prefocus set, held with only one hand and with the camera taken over my head (I was focused on my wife's eyes at the time.. it was a delivery full of complications.. she was extremely tired). The photo is literally full of life in an extremely sharp photo.

For those that follow the "snapshot" thread debacle... this is the one event that convinced me that a "snapshot" can and IS photography. For the same reasons that many journalists that snapshot events and news are also photographers.

I'm not knocking SLRs nor larger formats.... simply tools with a different purpose. I still have zooms with my Canon.

btw.. the only issue I had with the camera was when I had the nurse take a few photos of us. She (understandably) didn't understand the concept of prefocus and stepped too close for one of the shots... oh well...

Guilty...My better half is getting annoyed with the equiptment clutter in the library( my unofficial office). I am mainly a wildlife photographer and as such have mainly longish lenses. The other white is a 100-400L and in the case is a 70-200 f/2.8L. But I do have a hankering now for a nice macro lens which means I will prolly get the 100 and go off the deepend again in that direction :lol:
But damn that 400 is sharp.

I think wildlife photographers should get a grant to compansate for the fact that we need such expensive lenses!
If going macro consider the sigam 150mm and 180mm - longer working distance than the canon 100mm and the sigma 180mm is a lot cheaper than the canon 180 and is just as good with quality of photo (though it does mean getting sigma teleconverters)

lovely setup Syndac. cheap and simple

well not too cheap :)

how is the D50 ive narrowed it down to that and D40, with the D50 i can get a Sigma 18-55 F2.8 though!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back