FBI reprimanded me for taking pictures...

Do you think gender makes a big difference?

:lol:
Do you think gender makes a big difference?

I think gender can make a difference. I think men are more likely to be bothered about someone thinking they are a terrorist. I guess it is a tradeoff, as a woman I get questioned less, but I also can't go to some of the sketchier areas that I would be braver to visit as a man :)

I've had security come after me for shooting a building once in their parking lot. I don't know what they wanted to say cause I got in my car and took off before they got to me!

Airport security generally looks for a few seconds in the x-ray and I tell them its camera equipment and they let it go. When I came back from Abu Dhabi, I did have to turn the camera on, and the gal checked through the bag, but that was about it.

I've been forbidden to take my camera into a secure office before (also in Abu Dhabi) and security made me leave it with them. They were very nice about it though. They put it in a locked desk drawer after they could see I was about to have a stroke and they even offered to keep it for me if I didn't want it :lol:

By the way, DFW airport does allow photography. Permits are only $1000 for 4-8 hours of shooting!

I went through airports in France, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam and Japan with a big bag of 35mm and MF gear without a single issue. I was surprised. In Seattle, when I put the unopened bag thru the xray, the guy asked if it was an RB67. I told him he had a good eye.

Not just gender. I guarantee you if a male muslim with a DSLR took a photo at an airport, the two agents would be replaced with 10 cars and a complete lockdown.

Just look at the TranAir incident a few weeks ago where a muslim man commented on how close his seat was to the plane's engine. Yep that was really a comment worth delaying the flight for and rescreening all the passengers.

airports are fun.

last spring, I flew from Ottawa to Toronto (45 minute flight), and after they scanned my carry-on camera bag I got..

"Sir, can you step over here please"

"Yep"

"I'd like to open your bag and check its contents.."

"Alright, but do you mind if I take the stuff out? It's a bunch of relatively expensive photo gear, which isn't insured.."

*pause with maniacal look*

"Okay."

I opened it, and they made me take all the caps off each lens, remove the lens from the body, take the battery out of the camera AND my strobes, dug through most of the pockets (I wanted so badly to say "OOHHH, but what's in THIS pocket?!" but didn't want to chance a probing and missed flight).

All for a domestic flight.

Ironically, no one gave a smelly turd about me taking photos in the airports, or on the plane (...cute FA hahah).

For some reason the only place I really get harassed about my photo gear is in the Raleigh-Durham airport. A few other times I've had my batteries swabbed but given that they are huge and weird looking, I'm not really surprised.

When I flew to Vegas to check out a company I was going to possibly work for I wasnt allowed to take my hardhat. Why for the life of me they wouldnt allow it is beyond me. Since then I have decided I will drive everywhere. Besides I can carry my firearm with me that way as well.

I take pics in airports all the time, it is part of a long-term project I'm working on.

Best moment EVAH! was when airport security found my Giotto Rocket in my carry-on. I will NOT be bringing one of those on the plane again...

giottos-rocket-air-blower.jpg

Did you try to also take it into the bathroom with you? That would have been the most hillarious thing ever... So many funny uses for the rocket, i've sucessfully done a dart throw that poked the cat in the EYE (take that reflexes) and also scared my daughter away from my computer desk by placing it on to pof the laptop.

Is there anything they cant do ?

a picture of the telephone booth, the fluorescent light fixture, the windows, etc." I'm kinda being a smartass now.
I offer to delete the images.
light.jpg

Why even bother "being a smartass"? Unfortunately this is the world we live in and the agents were just doing part of their job.

we are artists, they are not. Those philistines will never understand why we love doing what we do.

As much as you think 'those Philistines' [what the hell does that even have to do with a LE agent?] will not understand why you love what you do, I bet you don't understand [nor appreciate] why they do what they do.

Garbz said:
Just look at the TranAir incident a few weeks ago where a muslim man commented on how close his seat was to the plane's engine. Yep that was really a comment worth delaying the flight for and rescreening all the passengers.

Not questioning far less has lead to far worse [than a mere inconvenience of time].

notelliot said:
All for a domestic flight.
Flights 11, 175, 77 and 93 were 'just' domestic flights as well.

Last edited:
The world has become paranoid concerning photographers. It seems we've been branded as spies for terrorist groups if we tote our cameras in public places such as airports or perhaps near the U.S. Embassy in Rome, Italy. This is a photo I took of the Carabinieri (Italian Military Police) on the North end of the U.S. Emabassy just as the Kosovo war situation broke out (Wag the Dog/Clinton-Lewinsky).

Carabinieri01.JPG

ROME, ITALY (KP) — It seems no matter where Ken ventures, he always runs into the local authorities. While visiting Rome, Ken decided to take a few photographs of the Carabinieri (Italian Military Police) on the north side of the U.S. Embassy. The Kosovo (Clinton) war had just started and all U.S. Embassies and military installations were on full alert. The Carabinieri did not want photographs taken of them in fear of some form of retaliation.

Ken reports,"I was on my way from the Vatican and heading back to my hotel. The U.S. Embassy was 3 blocks away in the same direction in which I was headed. After taking a few photographs, I approached the officers to remark about their snappy uniforms. One of the lead officers approached me and wanted to take my camera and film. I told him, 'Io sono un turista americano, okay? Do you speak English?' Obviously, he did not speak English as he maintained his rambling in Italian. With my Yankee accent, I tried to tell him that I am only an Americam tourist and took photos because of their sharp uniforms. The officer conferred with the other officers and allowed me to pass with reluctance."

The Carabinieri, originally part of the Italian armed forces, are the police force that performs both military and civil duties such as maintaining public order. They consist of among other things, paratroop units and mounted divisions and come under the control of either the Minister of the Interior or the Minister of Defense, depending on the function they are performing.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back