FD adaptor ring use.

onemoroni1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
New here, I am advanced amature level and have old assorted brand FD lenses for my old A1's and am considering going to Canon Rebel DSLR and using my old lenses with an adapter ring. I would like to get a full frame sensor, but can't afford it and am aware of the focal length differences. Has anyone had any practical experience with using FD adapter rings? I know there is another lens in the equation with the ring and all things considered I subscribe to the 12 inch rule of the best camera (the brain, not the equipment). I have read a lot of negative speculation about the FD adapter and would not like to hear it again, but is there any practical experience out there?

You will have no aperture control, no metering or partial metering and no auto focus in most instances, which isn't exactly easy-the focus part. The aperture isn't a big thing, you can control that by the aperture ring. The metering? Use your histogram and highlight warnings. If you have decent experience you'll have a good guesstimate what your settings should be. Use your histogram as your meter.
The adapters are cheap. If you aren't happy with them you aren't out much at all.

Thanks so much! I don't have any problem with doing the manual thing, pretty good with the "sunny 16" principal on my manual rangefinder and SLR. Good info on the website.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back