Feature Choice - More AF-points or LiveView/Bracketing

aceband

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum! I read a bunch of reviews about two camera's: The nikon d3000 and the canon 1000d but couldn't decided which to get! So i went to the local shop and the sales-person persuaded me to go with the nikon.

It's a nice camera but i can't help but think maybe i'd have been better with the Canon.

Basically as a complete beginner to all things photography would i be better of with the 11 Auto Focu points of the nikon OR the canons LiveView and Bracketing (but only 7 focus points)

I know it's more of a personal choice but im struggling to make it.

Hmm even if the D3000 does not perform bracketing (its quite a basic feature so I would expect it to, but I don't shoot Nikon to know) you can still do this fully manually with no problems. Live view is also not essential either, a nice addition and it does have uses, but my 400D has no live view and I don't miss it one bit (eye to the viewfinder helps with stabilty as well).

Get out and start shooting and forget about canon, sony and all the other camera brands, you have a good camera but its time to start learning how to use it. I'd recomend reading the manual through a few times - play with the camera and settings and also carry your manual with you when you go out - I did when I was learning and it was great to be able to quickly refrence methods or menus in the field without having to come back to base to find it.

I would also recomend the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson to help you understand the settings responcible for an exposure, understanding how to control and manipulate them and such - an understanding of that and you won't (nessessarily) miss bracketing.

I agree with Overread, the 3000 should be fine (and you're right, it doesn't have the exposure bracketing...)

The only thing that would potentially bother me about the Nikon is that some of the lenses don't have all of the functions (no internal auto focus motor).

Mmm they were the thoughts i was having. I seems that if i go with the canon im only loosing out on Auto Focus points whereas with the nikon i miss out on LiveView, Bracketing, Image stabalisation in the camera and Autofocus motor in the camera. Even typing it out makes me think the canon would be better?
(i wish i was better at making decisions)

Mmm they were the thoughts i was having. I seems that if i go with the canon im only loosing out on Auto Focus points whereas with the nikon i miss out on LiveView, Bracketing, Image stabalisation in the camera and Autofocus motor in the camera. Even typing it out makes me think the canon would be better?
(i wish i was better at making decisions)

Canon does not have IS or an AF motor in the camera.

I like Live View, its nice for composing shots at times. Also, from what I know of most Nikons, you cannot use the mirror lock up with the 2 second delay. Not a problem unless you forget your remote.

Oh sorry my mistake - i thought that was why the canon had a wider range of lenses that it could take?

Most reactions

Back