Feedback requested: first female model shoot (skimpy outfit warning)

daggah

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's a few pictures from my first shoot with a female model:

Sexy in Red #1 by davidgevert, on Flickr

Mirror, Mirror... by davidgevert, on Flickr

Right off the bat, there's three things I wish I had done differently:

I was mixing ambient and flash and should've gelled my flashes accordingly.

On the first shot when she got down on her knees, I should've adjusted my lights - the lack of a catchlight in her eyes kind of bothers me.

Finally, we should've cleaned the mirror better. It looked clean but my flashes ended up revealing the error of our ways...

Anyway, I'm overall pretty happy with the results I got from this shoot, and I finally have some pictures to use to start a Modelmayhem portfolio. :)

Yeah, her face is OOF in the first one.

In the second, like you said, your mirror is dirty. I'm also not a huge fan of the angle or where you cropped it. I kind of want you to bring the camera more on her level for that one.

whyyyyyy!? I feel like the ultra feminist in this group but not a fan of a woman being photographed in this way I think there is a way to photograph a woman and be sexy while still keeping it classy. Needless to say I hate the posing. Was this something she wanted? The outfit choices are horrible she seems like a pretty girl but its hard to tell with the way shes being depicted.

whyyyyyy!? I feel like the ultra feminist in this group but not a fan of a woman being photographed in this way I think there is a way to photograph a woman and be sexy while still keeping it classy. Needless to say I hate the posing. Was this something she wanted? The outfit choices are horrible she seems like a pretty girl but its hard to tell with the way shes being depicted.

If someone photographed women the exact same way every time, it would make for a pretty boring portfolio. No harm in mixing it up a bit. I dont find these to be bad at all. #1 has a very cheerleader ish feel to it.

One reason why many so-called "sensuous" or sexy portraits of women do nothing for me. They tend to be cliche, stereotypical, and very shallow. Like it is just too intellectually challenging for some to imagine a woman's sexuality as being more complex than a tight outfit or a coy glance. I like sensuous portraits of women, sexy ones even, but this woman could be any other woman in the same outfit with a decent body. It shows nothing about how this woman is sexy or sensuous. She just looks like she was hired for some party.

If you don't like the content of the picture, then just go ahead and click the back button and look at someone else's pictures. I like the outfits and so does she. I'm not looking for critique on my choice of model or her choice of attire.

She's smiling and posing in someones living room. Obviously this is not forced.

Some background assistance would have helped.

Weakest NSFW thread all year.

Last edited:
I agree...I wanted to use my 50-150 f/2.8 but once we started shooting, I realized I didn't have the room to get the full-length portraits I wanted, and I didn't have any of my primes with me. Not that I'd get a huge difference out of f/1.8 vs. the f/2.8 I was shooting at.

I suggest employing the use of the Liquify Tool on the 2nd shot, just below the backstrap in the foreground image.

Pretty girl, thanks for sharing.

If you don't like the content of the picture, then just go ahead and click the back button and look at someone else's pictures. I like the outfits and so does she. I'm not looking for critique on my choice of model or her choice of attire.

Its has 0% due with your choice of model, 10% to do with attire, 50% to do with posing and 40% with execution. So were you directing her or did she come up with these poses on her own? Your not the first to do this kind of stuff and won't be the last IMO there is just better ways to capture a woman's sexuality.

She's smiling and posing in someones living room. Obviously this is not forced.

Some background assistance would have helped.

Weakest NSFW thread all year.

Never said it was forced I was more going for is this the type of shot she came up with and wanted. Or did she come to him and say make me look sexy and he came up with this?

Its has 0% due with your choice of model, 10% to do with attire, 50% to do with posing and 40% with execution. So were you directing her or did she come up with these poses on her own? Your not the first to do this kind of stuff and won't be the last IMO there is just better ways to capture a woman's sexuality.

I actually accidentally left my posing guide at home, so the posing is 90% her with the occasional "look at me" or "look away" or other small suggestions.

i think the poses are fine, and the outfits awesome. We have seen very similar outfits in other posted girly shoots that got quite a bit of praise. Except for the background being a bit busy, i think these were pretty well executed.
Nicely done!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back