Feeding the birds (first post)

themonko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.justinkorn.com
This is my first post to the critque section or any part of this forum. I have a few shots of this kid feeding the birds. I will only post one for now and see the responses. In this particular shot, I can't decide if the two people walking by add or take away from the picture. If you are curious and want to see the other shots, please ask. Thanks in advance.

PofFA_image044.jpg

For me I find the two other people distracting. If it were just the kid I think it would be a bit better. Also the man is out of focus, so that takes away if you want to keep him in. It might be cool if the people were there, but really blurred so you are forced to look at the kid. Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum!!! You will learn a lot!!!

I agree. The kid is being pushed out of the picture. Doing shots like this is always tricky though.
What are the others like?

What's all that movement in the fence? Too bad but if you could have been raised in the same spot above the child and I agree get rid of the other people. This photo is about the child and the birds anything else ruins the photo. Do it agian!

I like the way the people are there but out of focus. It shows how the child is playing with the birds and feeding them as everyone gets on with it.

Here is two more without the people. Between the three, I really like them all for different reasons.

Thanks for the comments so far and the welcome to the forum. I have so many other pictures I would love to get comments on. One at a time...

1)
PofFA_image045.jpg

2)
PofFA_image046.jpg

The background water is so different from the rest of the photos it looks photoshopped in. It's an interesting look.

#1 (of the second post) is definately your best shot. #2 could be a lot better, but you can't see the kid's face.

jadin said:
The background water is so different from the rest of the photos it looks photoshopped in. It's an interesting look.

#1 (of the second post) is definately your best shot. #2 could be a lot better, but you can't see the kid's face.

I'm not sure I understand what you are takling about in your first comment about the water in the background. could you be a little more specific as to what and why it looks photoshopped?

As for #1 being the best shot, why? I agree it has the most character and obvious point of interest...but what makes that a better shot then say the original post? It is different, and has a different intent.

As for #2 not having the kids face, I don't see how that takes away from the picture. I honestly don't think it is a great picture, but not because I am missing the kids face, but because there is nothing "special" about it. (now I am critiquing myself)

Keep it coming...this forum is awesome! I really appreciate the feedback. Be on the lookout for a few more pictures of mine to come.

I definitely like the first one afte being cropped. As to why, I'm prone to action and there's something happening in the first one. The second is just a kid's back imho.

After seeing 2 & 3 #1 looses a lot of interest for me. The child looks faked, not photoshopped but posed. #2's subject mater is far more interesting. Well composition, well gray scale is off. Not that something was done incorrectly but there isn't much off from neutral gray and if there is it leans toward black giving a dark feeling to the photo but not in a good way for me. #3 however has more contrasting shades. While the feeling I get is more somber than #2 it is visually more pleasing to view. I don't think not seeing the child's face takes away in any way from this photo. It adds to the questions invoked by the photo. Taking it out of the series you are not sure what he is doing there, why are the birds gathering with him? That one seagull to the right captures my interest as well. I'm interested in it for some reason? Am I babbling again? All said I think number 3 is my choice. I like the story it tells or the lack of story that I am forced to make up. Plus the branches are not in it. #2 would have been better if that gull was in it and if some birds were flying around. I'll stop now.

tmpadmin, don't worry about rambeling...I find it intersting.

In the original post, I see what you saying by the kid seems posed, but interstingly, that is what the kid looked like. I didn't know him and he had no idea was taking the picture.

As for the flying around birds and a gull in #2, I'm not sure which picture you are refering to as #2 anymore. Original Post = #1, second post 1) = #2, and 2) = #3...right?

In #2, there is a bird flying around in the middle and there is a gull in the far right corner. #3 has nothing flying around, and the gull near the middle (he was curious and moved closer to the boy).

Your first picture isn't even in the same league as the remaining two.
BTW, you've numbered the last two pics and that could possibly create confusion.

The picture labeled #1 is the more interresting. It is a 'talking picture'. There is no doubt as to what is going on in the event.

The picture labeled #2 is compositionally the most correct, but it just doesn't have the power of #1.

All three are under exposed.

Most reactions

Back