Feeling a little limited.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Knotty, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Knotty

Knotty TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everyone! Im Knotty, budding amateur photographer:) Im here looking for some help/feedback on my search for a 2nd lens. Right now on my Rebel T2i I just have the kit lens(18-55mm IS) on there. Now I search for a decent zoom in the area of $1000 CAD. There is one condition though, the lens has to be on Future Shop - Future Shop (I work there so I get a sweet discount!).

Ok well I guess I should talk about my"style" or ummm, what ever you call the stuff you like to shoot"P!

Currently I take a lot of landscape, architecture, and what I would call urban/street photos. I would like to expand into taking some more wildlife and maybe portraits. Oh and I like to travel, a lot, and most of my picks are taken on those travels so I have to keep that in mind for the size/weight of the lens. I will also be buying a WA lens in May, but that's getting ahead of myself.

So I have a "rough" list of 3 lenses that Im looking at now...
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens Review

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L IS USM Lens Review

If you have any other suggestions for me please leave a comment or email, thanks:)

2. mrmacedonian

mrmacedonian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would definitely go with a 70-200/4 if you're looking at that range. the IS is up to you whether or not you'll be shooting on a tripod the majority of the time or handheld. If you're shooting handheld then it wouldn't hurt. personally when i have the cash for that lens i'll be going for the IS because if i'm already spending that much I'd like some image stabilization @200mm.

You don't really want a variable aperture and you can look into that as you research the lenses.

3. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with what this guys said. Get the 70-200mm F/4L (IS or not if up to you). It is excellent bang for the buck.

Personally I am getting the 70-200mm F/2.8L USM (without IS) because I plan on using it for outdoors for sports, and want faster shutter speeds and don't really plan on using IS. Its a little more than the F/4 IS by $100 USD or so.

4. mrmacedonian

mrmacedonian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    70-200/4 but wait for a few hundred you can get IS! but wait, for a few hundred more, you can get the f/2.8! that's got an IS version too.. yup, just a few hundred more! :p

slippery slope!!

yeah, i'll be going for the 70-200/2.8L IS mkII or bust!

5. prodigy2k7

Photos OK to edit
    I only mentioned the 2.8L non-IS because he linked the F/4 IS, only $90 USD difference.

6. mrmacedonian

mrmacedonian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah I know I'm just kidding :) It is a slippery slope though :p

7. Knotty

Knotty TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A slippery slope indeed:) The only draw back with the 2.8L is that I can't get it at future shop and I would have to pay full price. I priced the 2.8L at $2200 CAD, just a little out of my price range:p

8. Knotty

Knotty TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  9. prodigy2k7

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm, your website shows the "Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM Standard Lens" but the picture they show is the IS version.

10. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 70-200 F4 IS is wicked sharp as well as being sealed (the other two you list are not) and light enough to carry around all day.

11. prodigy2k7

Photos OK to edit
    I prefer 2.8 over 4 is because I want faster shutter speeds for sports. I'm not really concerned with low shutter speed hand holding IS function. It's preference and whatever you need.

12. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I would say based on your comments here, that you should be looking at a different lens entirely. For landscape/achitecture, it seems you would probably be well suited for a wide angle lens like a 10-20, 12-24 or something like that maybe.

For the portrait and urban/street, I would consider a normal (50mm) to short telephoto (up to 85mm).