Feeling Instrusive

You need Javier's perspective on this one. He's the man.

That said, my experience so far has been...

1. Smile pleasantly when people catch you.
2. Be prepared to deal with the occasional person who gets mad.
3. Be prepared to cite your legal rights if you really get called on it.
4. Have a pre-prepared method of dealing with people who are really angry (I know some people who will just delete the pics if asked, for example)

By and large, I find most people either don't realize or don't mind too much. Some even get into it.

Big up for even choosing this genre of photography. I briefly tried it with the ol' Yashica TLR in college on the streets of NYC. I could not get the hang of it, but I learned a lot about myself and photography. I also got soda thrown at me and hit and of course lots of verbal abuse. Although rare do not be afraid of it.

A DSLR or an SLR will not make the cut. Having the mirror flap up during exposure is a strong hindrance. Come up with a theme. Random shots of interesting people can only go so far. For instance a friend of mine did a series of people from the waist down. It was brilliant work.

Skieur and PatrickT have excellent advice. Start off at tourist attractions where people are not afraid of cameras and work your way up from there. Interacting with your subject is a great way to gain confidence.

We are interested in the results so keep us posted.

Love & Bass

So manaheim, what would be an adequate plan per step #4?

I would think the following as things escalate:

-Sorry just testing out a new lens
-Ok, I can delete the image
-Please leave me alone or I'll call the police
-<actually call police>
-Pepper spray?
-Guard dog

I would not recommend this guy's approach at all because interfering with someone's progress on the sidewalk or elsewhere by sticking a camera in their face is technically illegal. In many jurisdictions it can fit into the legal definition of assault as defined in the law. If someone who knew the law, strongly objected, charges could be laid against the photographer. It would be even worse legally if you collided with a pedestrian while sticking a camera in their face. Assault charges followed by a law suit would crimp any photographer's style whether it was win or lose.

skieur

Last edited:
Gilden's approach is not for everyone, but we must keep in mind that nothing is more important then getting THE shot. Did I mention he shoots for Magnum Magnumphotos

As photographers we can not bury our head in the sand because of dumb ol' rules.

Love & Bass

We also can't abondon principles simply to get the shot... which is why I started this thread. I am looking for some middle ground. I have gotten several great ideas so far and I just can't thank you all enought. What a great community!

Gliden is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I am going to give some of this a shot this weekend... I will keep you posted. And keep the comments comming this is great stuff!!!

I just meant if you walked around with him for a day pretty much anything else you do will seem un-intrusive ;)

In my limited experience it's much easier if they are doing something capture-able like feeding birds, playing an instrument... just something really. But the ones who are just sitting on a park bench, sleeping, roaming around - it's a little harder to explain why you're taking their photograph since it's just the moment, the emotion or the feeling you are capturing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back