Feeling Instrusive

I have the advantage of 2 camera bodies with tiltable LCD screens with live view and very fast autofocus on one. The result is that I can shoot without putting the viewfinder up to my eye. If you are looking down at your camera, people tend to think that you are just looking at photos already taken, rather than framing a shot.

I don't find that the sound of the mirror is noticeable outside, considering traffic, people and other regular noise. If it is really quiet I use the compact with 28mm to 200mm 2.8 and NO mirror.

skieur

Being and taking "street photography" in a city (such as L.A., where Javier shoots) is ever so much easier than doing the same in a small place. People get incredibly suspicious when they see you pointing a lens at them in small places. In the big places, where there always also are tourists, they seem to be so much more relaxed about the whole camera thing.

So if you want to do street photography and are too afraid to start, you might want to travel to a bigger place first? I found I am a lot more confident in Hamburg or Berlin than I am in my tiny place! But I'm still a telephoto street shooter, which is "not the real thing", as I understand. So what. It is MY thing. Approaching people with a wide angle lens would not be for me. Plus I am not always overly fond of the outcome (distortions).

So, Skieur, you are in Québec City?
Well, who knows, maybe you ran into my husband last week on Thursday, and maybe you even took his photo? Of him being all unaware. Leaving the hotel or getting back? Whatever - he was in "your city" on Thursday and Friday morning! :D

At first when I was doing street stuff, I was a little uncomfortable shooting people. Just over the last year, a guy who works with me, also works for a newspaper, and asked me to come shoot a few of the rallies they were having. It was strange for me, mostly cause of the cultural, and political stuff going on. I have no political, or religious views, but I clearly stood out in the crowd. :lol: It really thrust me into the world of getting into the faces of the people there and I was amazed at how fast things turn around. Being right on the front line, walking backwards as a few thousand people marched towards me was a little intimidating, but once I clicked a few images off, I fell into a comfort zone. I have shot 5 different events for the paper since the early summer.
As for regular street images, I use two different cameras, one with a zoom, the other wide angle. Some people I have asked to take their photo, some I shoot from a distance. It really depends on the situation. I have not really had any people confront me....Im thinking cause Im 6'1" and ugly as sheeit....:lol::lmao::lol:...so they leave me alone.

I say, just work at it slowly. Find what you are comfortable with.
Ok...back to my crypt. :mrgreen:

At first when I was doing street stuff, I was a little uncomfortable shooting people. Just over the last year, a guy who works with me, also works for a newspaper, and asked me to come shoot a few of the rallies they were having. It was strange for me, mostly cause of the cultural, and political stuff going on. I have no political, or religious views, but I clearly stood out in the crowd. :lol: It really thrust me into the world of getting into the faces of the people there and I was amazed at how fast things turn around. Being right on the front line, walking backwards as a few thousand people marched towards me was a little intimidating, but once I clicked a few images off, I fell into a comfort zone. I have shot 5 different events for the paper since the early summer.
As for regular street images, I use two different cameras, one with a zoom, the other wide angle. Some people I have asked to take their photo, some I shoot from a distance. It really depends on the situation. I have not really had any people confront me....Im thinking cause Im 6'1" and ugly as sheeit....:lol::lmao::lol:...so they leave me alone.

I say, just work at it slowly. Find what you are comfortable with.
Ok...back to my crypt. :mrgreen:

Key word is "comfortable". Know your equipment, focus mentally on your task at hand.
This was an excellent type of event to break in with. Folks at these are after attention.
Do not assume all gatherings will be so benign. Example, even at 6'1", you would be turned into dog meat really fast trying these shots at a union strike rally or racial confrontation. DAMHIK. :(

First, with regard to whether a picture was made with or without the subject's knowledge, the finished matted print will be what it is. Whether it is or is not a good print doesn't [necessarily] hinge on it's genesis.

So, if you wish, consider that you will set out to make two types of pictures: 'candid' and 'posed'. Remember that taking a picture of someone without their express permission can result in a problem depending upon how you use/display the final print. [I take pictures exclusively for display in my home and so don't run into any legal problems.]

I'll be spending time on the 'street' in a couple of days. In some instances I'll try to make pictures in which people are photographed unaware. [My 'fave' lenses are 58mm +2x and 135mm on 35mm bodies.] In other instances, I'll ask permission and set up the exposure. I do this when I run into an interesting face, for example.

First, with regard to whether a picture was made with or without the subject's knowledge, the finished matted print will be what it is. Whether it is or is not a good print doesn't [necessarily] hinge on it's genesis.

So, if you wish, consider that you will set out to make two types of pictures: 'candid' and 'posed'. Remember that taking a picture of someone without their express permission can result in a problem depending upon how you use/display the final print. [I take pictures exclusively for display in my home and so don't run into any legal problems.]

I'll be spending time on the 'street' in a couple of days. In some instances I'll try to make pictures in which people are photographed unaware. [My 'fave' lenses are 58mm +2x and 135mm on 35mm bodies.] In other instances, I'll ask permission and set up the exposure. I do this when I run into an interesting face, for example.

There was a time when the rule (law) was that a person in a public venue had no expectation of privacy. Attitudes may have changed. I have taken and published thousands of pictures of folks in public places without their permission. And some with verbal permission. And, a few with written permission. Never once a hint of legal problems. But, today, lawsuits do fly like snowflakes in winter. Use your own jugement in these matters.
I have found that most people will be cooperative if approached in a friendly, non threatening, manner.

Being and taking "street photography" in a city (such as L.A., where Javier shoots) is ever so much easier than doing the same in a small place. People get incredibly suspicious when they see you pointing a lens at them in small places. In the big places, where there always also are tourists, they seem to be so much more relaxed about the whole camera thing.

So if you want to do street photography and are too afraid to start, you might want to travel to a bigger place first? I found I am a lot more confident in Hamburg or Berlin than I am in my tiny place! But I'm still a telephoto street shooter, which is "not the real thing", as I understand. So what. It is MY thing. Approaching people with a wide angle lens would not be for me. Plus I am not always overly fond of the outcome (distortions).

So, Skieur, you are in Québec City?
Well, who knows, maybe you ran into my husband last week on Thursday, and maybe you even took his photo? Of him being all unaware. Leaving the hotel or getting back? Whatever - he was in "your city" on Thursday and Friday morning! :D

I know what you mean about small places. I have a trailer in a small vacation location and when I took my camera out to shoot, word got around the whole town about the guy with the "big camera". :D

The advantage to a telephoto when street shooting is the easy ability to isolate a subject from the background or the rest of a crowd. The great thing about Quebec City is being hilly, there are all kinds of locations to shoot from, and of course all kinds of great backgrounds in the older part of the city.

skieur

Key word is "comfortable". Know your equipment, focus mentally on your task at hand.
This was an excellent type of event to break in with. Folks at these are after attention.
Do not assume all gatherings will be so benign. Example, even at 6'1", you would be turned into dog meat really fast trying these shots at a union strike rally or racial confrontation. DAMHIK. :([/QUOTE]
Your so right. I think any situation can get out of hand. I have been lucky so far.:D

As for union strike rallys etc. I have simply secured union OK to photograph. I have the advantage of having been a union rep. so I know how to communicate with them to secure permission to photograph. It is not really that difficult.

skieur

I shoot street photography with belindab and she is fearless. She always gets more shots and is a really good street photographer. When someone bows up at her, she shoots them again.

Craig

Most reactions

New Topics

Back