Feeling overwhelmed when editing

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by nerwin, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

I would like to make something clear first.

I know this topic may bring upon a debate between post-processing and getting it right in camera. That is NOT what I would like this discussion to entail. This discussion is about post processing.

In my personal opinion, getting it right in camera is something I don't really care about. Why? Because I choose to get it close as I can in camera but I don't focus too much on it, instead, I focus on other important factors such as composition and lighting. Exposure can be fixed in post, especially with cameras of today. Also, I love having full control of the raw files to process how I please and do crazy editing that is just simply impossible to do in camera. At the end of the day, it's my opinion and you don't have to agree with it. But that's how I do things, that's my workflow and my style. I'm not perfect. Ansel Adams wasn't either. There is not right or wrong way.

If this discussion turns into a debate between editing and getting it right in camera, I'll have it closed.

--

Lately I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed when it comes to photo editing. Sometimes I almost dread having to do it after a photoshoot.

After spending hours of processing images and staring at the computer monitor, I swear your eyes start playing tricks on you. Drives me nuts!

I love taking photos into LR and making them come alive and playing around with the sliders but when you gotta do it to 400+ shots...it's not that fun anymore. Especially when you get stuck on one photo where you have no idea which way you wanna take it.

What are some tips and tricks that you have learned that have made your post-processing life more enjoyable?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Getting them right in camera

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. JustJazzie

JustJazzie Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I am right there with you. I really need to give it a week or so between the shoot and my editing so I can have a more objective view of the shots, but I also loose the momentum and excitement from the shoot.

In my last shoot, I edited through them all, rushed into getting them printed and then had a random epiphany that I could have EASILY fixed the hair (to some extent) using liquify. But I had been staring at them for so long and just wanted to be done I didn't even think of it.

Looking forward to hearing others tips!

4. jcdeboever

Photos OK to edit
    Try to do it in camera. It can be done.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    @jcdeboever but what if you have a dozen of the same image "almost" identical, and you can't decide which one to keep, so you end up keeping all of them on the outside chance that you might come back later and want one of them, but then you never do, so your files just keep growing and growing??

6. jcdeboever

Photos OK to edit
    I only do that when bracketing or troublesome light conditions. Other than that, I shoot one image.

7. jcdeboever

Photos OK to edit
    I despise editing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Waiting a bit, like at least a few days, or even a week, between the shoot, and the editing.

Doing a thorough cull-through, to avoid editing second- and third-rate or even fourth-rate shots.

Using Settings>Copy>Paste on the shots that had the same exposure and which need the same processing steps or treatment.

NOT allowing myself to get bogged down on one, single file!

• Like Like x 2
  9. jcdeboever

Photos OK to edit
    Perfect? What does that have to do with what I said? Do you think that, based on what I said? Getting it right in camera is not perfection, it is a method learned from shooting film. People could spend more time in software than in camera. I am simply saying get it the way you want in camera or put the effort in. You don't like sooc jpegs for a reason. Not that I'm perfect, I just spend more time in camera as opposed to software. I am a horrible photographer but I don't waste my time trying to fix crappy images.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Okay, I think things are getting a little lost in translation.

I think everyone understands that we try to do as much as we can with the camera, but even with a clear 'keeper', we often feel like it could be a bit better and that's what post-processing is for.

Let's keep the discussion focused on what happens after the camera work.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

And so post-processing your photos means your work is crappy? So you're basically saying everyone on this forum post processes their photos because their work is crappy?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. jcdeboever

Photos OK to edit

No. I just don't edit my crappy photos, which is majority. Your reading between imaginary lines. I simply answered your original post. You are taking it somewhere else.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.