Feeling overwhelmed when editing

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by nerwin, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Well maybe I have misread. I apologize. But we obviously have very different opinions on this matter and so we won't get anywhere. Let's just forget about it and move on.

2. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Moving on...

I'll admit that I really dislike post-processing and don't do a lot of it. Perhaps some of that is due to the simple fact that there is less that can be reasonably done to a scanned jpeg of a film negative than to a raw file. A lot of it is also surely due to what I like about photography in general.

But still, I do recognize that sometimes photos just need a little something. I can tolerate it to a point, but then have to let it go.

Some things I do to help the work along is to categorize photos into ones I definitely want to edit, ones I definitely do not want to edit, and the "maybe" photos. I'll work on the handful that I'm excited about first. I never look at the "maybe" file right away. I find that giving it some time and getting distance from the creation of the image helps me be more objective about it. Sometimes that's a few days, and sometimes it's a few months. Only then do I decide if I am going to carry on with trying to edit, or if it's just not worth it to me.

Still, I don't delete (though technically it doesn't matter because I still have the negatives). Because you never know what you ultimately might want to edit. If I may, this is a photo that I ignored literally for years. One day I was going through old files and I found it and realized that I actually had learned how to edit it to look the way I wanted to. I didn't originally have the skills I needed, so I just left it, but years later, I knew more and so editing it was a non-issue for me.

[​IMG]
    rs Poinsettia
    by limrodrigues, on Flickr

So I would say prioritize, set limits, and if you're not sure, just leave it alone. It might just not be the right time for that image.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. nerwin

I've done that too, found a photo I took many years ago but for some reason kept it even though then I thought it was a throw away shot but actually ended being a gem. Just needed to wait for my editing style to flourish I guess, lol.

The best thing to probably do is when I start to get frustrated with post-processing is to just take a break from it and come back later, usually the next day or week..or a month instead of trying to get it all done in one day.

I'm not going to lie, I love editing my photos. I love having the ability to adjust every color of a photo and making it be visually different. That is my style and who I am. I mean every photo I have shared on this forum that have been liked by many and nominated have been processed and I've probably spent hours on them.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  4. limr

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I look at it the same way I do reading a book or writing something. There have been times when I started to read a book and I just couldn't get into it, so I end up not finishing it. I might try again in a couple of years, and suddenly I find that I can't put it down. It's happened to me when trying to write as well. An idea floats around for days before I am finally ready to get the words out of my head.

Sometimes you just have to wait for the time when you'll be ready for it.

I say if you are hitting a wall with a particular image, then just leave it. Put it in a folder called "Later" or something like that. Check the folder every once in a while to see what hits you.

Even when you are working on something that you know you want to work on, you need to give yourself regular breaks. Work on a different image or do something completely different - I mean, not even on the computer. Rest your eyes by taking them off the screen for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nerwin

I'm pretty sure that is normal behavior for creatives haha.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. limr

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, we're kooky that way :) We gots to feeeeeeel it, man!

7. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    OMG, I shoot weddings. There are a lot of photos after each wedding! My tip? Charge enough so it's not as painful when you have to go through 2000 photos It's still painful. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  8. nerwin

Well not all of us can edit our photos on a yacht.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hahaha I wish.

10. nerwin

Met too...me too.

11. 407370

407370 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I dont make money from photography so Idont give a.............. what anyone else thinks of my processing.

I love HDR / Tone mapping / bracketing / cloning out people or objects / or SOOC as I see fit. I dont follow a doctrine of any kind except what I think is right for that particular image, and IT IS just a digital image that I treat with the exact same reverence as any other digital image.

12. Light Guru

Light Guru Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Ansel Adams would spend days in the darkroom working on a single image, so he definitely didn't get it right in camera.

Sometimes I use a Large format film camera and one thing it has taught me is to take fewer photos. As funny as it sounds is I actually come away with more keeper shots now then I did before by using this method. And no its not because I'm getting it right in camera, I still do plenty of post processing.

I spend more time before I trip the shutter trying to see the final image in my mind before I take the photo.

Think more, shoot less.

Now you didn't say what type of shooting you are doing. Some types of photography simply require shooting a lot to get what you need. Sports and weddings are an example. I don't do those types of photography so I take my time and pre visualize my images.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.