Feeling overwhelmed when editing

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by nerwin, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

When the Dodgers last won the World Series I had a B&W darkroom in LA. Spent way too much time, but it was a lot of fun. Of course at the same time shooting Kodachrome and that was all done in camera, but bracketing was allowed so you didn't always have to nail exposure with one shot. Both ways gave the results desired.

In digital I often have too many images. Like Derrel, I will cull and copy-paste settings.
    - I rate 1 star the images to consider editing.
    - Batch edit each group that is similar processing.
    - A quick fine tune for each image with things you don't do in a batch like some dodging and burning.
    - Rate 2 star the images I really like
    - Additional editing on the 2 star - if it is going with a look different from the rest a virtual copy is made.
    - If it is sent to Photoshop then a virtual copy is also made.

I consider the use of the images and what that value is to me, that gives me an idea of how much time to spend on post processing. If its paid work then that time was already factored in before picking up the camera.

2. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If I’ve taken so many photos that I’m feeling overwhelmed, I do a quick cull and choose 4-5 favorites and edit those. I put the rest aside for later. Then the next time I’m bored or feel like editing but haven’t shot anything new, I pull out the later photos and take a closer look and edit some more. I do this over the winter when I don’t shoot as often. Not possible if you’re shooting for someone else but I don’t think you do that do you?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

no, I only shoot for myself. Yeah winter is a great time to go through your photos and organize and re-edit. My goal this winter is to focus on doing macro stuff as I'm not much of a outside person during winter as I hate the cold haha. But sometimes I'll venture out when I'm in the mood.

• Like Like x 1
  4. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Not to start up the debate over sooc again, but years ago I shot film, after a long hiatus I've jumped back into the digital world. Getting it right in camera was more important in my film days, but I view digital different. To me a digital image is nothing but data, I strive to get as much data in the file sooc, but the final image is dependent on how I choose to process that data. One image file can produce an unlimited number of different looks. My work flow has evolved to start with Bridge. Using the space bar I can scroll through and rapidly view the images full size. This is where I make my first round of permanent cuts. Using the batch tool I rename the files, and move them from SD card to the folder specified on my computer. Then I import those files into LR, specifying collections and common presets for my particular camera. Once in LR, I scroll through the files paying particular attention to the histogram, and make a second round of cuts. Then I use the eye dropper to set WB on the first image, and use the synch button to set all to the same WB. At that point I use "survey" to start comparing all similar images flagging those I want to edit. Then set filter to flagged images and do my final processing on those images. When I'm satisfied with my images I go back and delete the ones I didn't pick. I know I should, and if I were doing it as a professional, I would incorporate a dump file of Raw files prior to any processing, but since they're only for my use, I don't do it anymore.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. birdbonkers84

birdbonkers84 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Best advice I could give is walk away from it a few days then go back, you'll be surprised what a fresh pair of eyes makes. I do this myself and when I'm modelling in my 3d software, many character modellers use this tip aswell, its where I got it from.

• Like Like x 2
  6. kalgra

kalgra TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I guess my questions is why are you editing 400+ images at a time? I mean for a wedding or something I get it but if you are editing every single picture you take, yeah I can see how you would be overwhelmed. Do you only shoot in raw?

Let me just state that I LOVE editing my photos but I don't edit all of them. I shoot in both raw and jpeg simultaneously. Many of the shots I get right in camera and am happy to just go with the jpeg straight out of camera but sometimes I like to take an image further even if I got it right in camera or especially when I didn't get it right in camera and want to salvage the picture. those are the one I choose to edit in post.

Does your camera allow you to do both at the same time?

I recently did my first (and probably last) family photo shoot. Not really what I would call my cup of tea but anyway I shot 700+ photos over two hours in both jpeg and raw. I removed all the obvious throw aways of children screaming and mom pulling out her hair, etc and was left with a little over 500 images. I let the client choose the 5 they liked most and fully edited just those 5 to make them as perfect as possible. Everything else they got were the out of camera jpgs and they loved them. My point here is do you really feel you need to edit every shot? Why not just pick the 10 or even 20 you like best?

Anyway I know ramble on this is just my take on it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DanOstergren

DanOstergren Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    The topic you don't want to discuss is ironically the answer to your problem. Shoot to not have to edit. Sorry I know you said you don't want to discuss it, but this is such a major contradiction and ignorant cop-out that I could not ignore it. Please don't mistake my honesty for meanness.

You already said you focus on lighting and composition; that's good. Getting the lighting right means you avoid a lot of retouching, and can potentially avoid it altogether. Part of composition is grooming the photo set to make sure everything is in place and nothing exists in the frame that would have to be edited out later, eliminating another aspect of photo editing. If you set your white balance correctly, often times you wont even have to do color editing either. I have mine set to "Shade" 100% of the time, and rarely have to do any color adjustments.

I understand that you don't want to discuss getting it right in camera, but in this case that's your exact problem and exactly what you need to be doing especially if photo editing is becoming an overwhelming task.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Thanks everyone for tips and suggestions.

But I'm just going to continue to do what I feel is best. I like to edit photos and add my personal touch to them. That's just how I do things. We all do things differently and I believe there is no correct way when it comes to creating art.

My issue is over thinking and that's something I do a lot. In this case, I just simply put way too much thought into something so simple and subjective.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DanOstergren

Photos OK to edit
    Completely agreed. My signature look is due to lighting and vision, definitely not in the editing, which I try to keep very minimal. If a photographer doesn't care for their images SOOC, that means they need to work on their photo making skills, not editing.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DanOstergren

Photos OK to edit
    I'm right there with you. I can't stand it, so I always think of ways I can avoid doing so during the actual photographic process. It's still "editing", it's just done before the photo is taken instead of after. I even see lighting in itself as a retouching tool.

• Like Like x 3
  11. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Exactly. It's not easy but the effort of in camera photography is way more interesting and gratifying than trying to figure out software. Film has taught me this, hence the reason I bought the Fujifilm, it works like my film cameras.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. DanOstergren

Photos OK to edit

[​IMG]

Ok @nerwin, what part about light being a retouching tool or "editing" still being a process that takes place before the photo is taken do you disagree with?

I don't understand what your issue is, asking a question but threatening to have your topic removed if you don't like someone's answer. If you don't like mine or someone else's opinions, you might as well block us so you don't have to see them, because I wont stop saying what I think just because someone doesn't want to hear it. That's pure ignorance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.