julie32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.juliestarkphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

As a photographer just starting a new business photographing children (candidly, ie. not in a studio) how can I learn what to charge? I understand it depends on where one is located (I'm in NYC). Many other children's photographers don't post their pricing/fees etc. I know this is a subjective question, but I wanted to get some feedback. I'm an advanced beginner. You can check out my website if you want to see the kinds of images I shoot before offering advice. www.juliestarkphotography.com.

I appreciate any type of response, even if it's "your photos suck, you can't make money, get better."

Thanks!
julie

Your photos suck, you cant make money - charge less!

I dunno, charge what YOU think is fair. Think about what you're going to put into the process, your own elvaluation of your skill and the competition that exists in your labor market. With a service like this, where it may not be your primacy source of income, you'll have latitude in what you can charge and some flexibility in negotiations.

Good luck.

PS - nice web layout. Too many times I've seen folks with cool pictures, and the website just KILLS any level of professionalism on their part.

img_9437.jpg

Nice. Me and that lil guy are gonna have words. . .

LOL, thank you! I was in the Dominican Republic and I was traveling around town and I saw this little guy on a motorcycle. I thought just THAT was going to be cute and then he did THAT! Hysterical.

Thanks for the help.

Search other photographers who are offering a similar service and use that as a guide for where to start. Don't undervalue yourself...if you are good...then charge for it. In NYC, there is probably the full gamut from free to tens of thousands of dollars...so you will probably be somewhere in between ;)

Most new photographers price themselves out of business. Charge what your product is worth, not what you "feel" is a fair price. A home based business with low overhead charge as a guide 3.3X the cost of the delivered product. (not CD's full of pix). A storefront should average 5X or more cost of delivered product. To get your cost, figure in cost of having print made even if you do it yourself. Not the costco price but a pro lab. Figure in shipping, stamps, packaging, frames and matts. Whatever goes into the cost of your product. The markup will pay for your time and talent. That $1.95 wal-mart 8X10 made at a good lab will run abour $9, after costs and markup you might need to charge $45-$75 depending on other costs and what it takes to make a decent wage. What ever you do, don't sell your self short.

Most reactions

Back