Female opinion needed. Please Help!

which photo should I use for the cover photo?

Votes: 1 14.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 42.9%

Votes: 2 28.6%

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
I would say 6 or last pic. You need to number them!
They are numbered, and the last shot (which is numbered #4) will draw mainly the gold diggers.

I would say 6 or last pic. You need to number them!
They are numbered, and the last shot (which is numbered #4) will draw mainly the gold diggers.
OK, I see them now on some of them. Numbers should be visible, in order.... You are making this difficult. Phone app is not helping you here either. Gold digger? Wrong attitude dude. You will never know anyway. If your just looking to date, who cares. If your looking for a lifetime, you will find out soon enough. Besides, once your married, half is hers anyway as it should be, if your both committed and in love.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't know if this is for real either... you didn't pay for these, I hope? The only picture that looks even somewhat like a usable portrait type shot is the one in the black T shirt by the white fence, that's not too bad. The rest for the most part look at best like just hanging out with your buddies (and the technical quality is not good). Of course I don't know what goes on on dating sites so what do I know.
i did pay for these.
You got ripped off.
The photographer who shot these doesn't understand anything about lighting. Your face is in shadow in most of these photos. He should have placed you in shade, use a reflector or use a fill flash to even the illumination on your face. These were shot by an amateur -- and a poor one -- who did not use any lighting equipment at all, and who probably doesn't understand lighting, either.
Not only is the lighting poor, but the photographer didn't pose you well. For starters, your chin doubles in many of the photos -- big turn off. As it turns out, if you pose your subject wrong, she can be the skinniest super model in the world and still have a double chin. I'd use a longer focal length and highlight the lines of your face.

Think you shouldn't pay this charlatan, and get a photographer who knows what he or she is doing.

I don't know if this is for real either... you didn't pay for these, I hope? The only picture that looks even somewhat like a usable portrait type shot is the one in the black T shirt by the white fence, that's not too bad. The rest for the most part look at best like just hanging out with your buddies (and the technical quality is not good). Of course I don't know what goes on on dating sites so what do I know.
i did pay for these.
You got ripped off.
The photographer who shot these doesn't understand anything about lighting. Your face is in shadow in most of these photos. He should have placed you in shade, use a reflector or use a fill flash to even the illumination on your face. These were shot by an amateur -- and a poor one -- who did not use any lighting equipment at all, and who probably doesn't understand lighting, either.
Not only is the lighting poor, but the photographer didn't pose you well. For starters, your chin doubles in many of the photos -- big turn off. As it turns out, if you pose your subject wrong, she can be the skinniest super model in the world and still have a double chin. I'd use a longer focal length and highlight the lines of your face.

Think you shouldn't pay this charlatan, and get a photographer who knows what he or she is doing.
or like many on dating sites,
take your shirt off,
hold a big fish
and take a selfie

But I prefer the ^^ idea above
:)

Are you looking for a wife or just a couple of "casual encounters"?

I agree with MarshallG - the lighting and posing is typical of work produced by a not very well informed nor skilled amateur photographer.
It does not look like the 'photographer' did any post production work to properly finish the photos either.
As always when being a consumer it's "buyer beware" when it comes to buying.

In a lot of the photos you have dark eye sockets, in photography circles sometimes known as 'raccoon eyes'.
Particularly for dating photos, your eyes are the most important feature of your face that need to be photographed properly.

This can't be a real thread. :eek:

Half of photography in magazines is of people, I believe the subject of this thread is a valid one

I'm curious to know where you got your percentage from. But hey, since this is a real thread best of luck to you. :)

Have you any friends that have taken photos of you in the last year or two where you are enjoying yourself doing "your" thing.

These photos look a little to posed to give you any personality. Without going to much into technicalities the photographer may likely have done you a dis-service here .

3 & 10. This from someone who met her significant other on a dating website. We've been together 2 1/2 years. I spent a lot of time on dating websites.

The pictures absolutely matter, but not in the way Sharon thinks. I never judged a person based solely on their looks. However, it did play a part. If they were holding alcohol in every picture, I wasn't interested. And lets be honest, looks do matter to a certain extent. You really do need to be somewhat physically attracted to someone. That said, even if I wasn't bowled over by their looks, that didn't preclude me meeting them.

The other pictures look posed, and forced.

Good point, barb, and I stand corrected. In fact, I even went on to basically insinuate that the pictures matter, by mentioning what impression I'd get from some of them.
What I guess I was trying to get at was that it sounds like people take these dating site photos more seriously than I'd have thought, in terms of actually HIRING someone to do them. I don't think the "right" photo for a dating site is so much about how professional the photo looks. The OP seems to be really obsessed with getting a photo that, I don't know, makes him look like the next candidate for People magazine's "Hottest Bachelor," and that's not necessary, imo. A "not perfect," simple photo that shows a person really being themselves would draw me in faster than a professionally done, great quality image that looks super posed and like the guy is trying to hard to look "attractive."
Just be yourself.
Now, if you're interested in dating a skilled photographer--yeah, you probably want a photo that looks like it was taken by someone who knew what they were doing. :D

Of course, back to the issue of these being taken by a complete amateur who didn't know what they were doing--a GOOD pro photographer would not only get the lighting right, and eliminate the distracting backgrounds, and that sort of thing--they would also know how to work with you to end up with some candid moments that show YOU being comfortable with who you are.

I hadn't realized the numbers were out of order, so I don't know what I looked at or picked last night! The quality is bad, they look like cell phone pictures done hanging out with your friends.

Go look up portrait photographers or studios in your area, ones that are established and have been in business for some time. (Stay away from the 'people with cameras' who apparently promote themselves all over craigslist and facebook). Look at the websites to see the quality of their photos, see if they offer casual or lifestyle (and look at other photos they do, seniors etc. to get an idea of their style and quality of their work). It is possible for someone to come up with enough pictures for a website to look like they're better than they are as a photographer, so take your time to check them out.

I think there's so much crap out there that people don't see good quality photos enough - if you look at 'good' that might help get your eyes used to seeing good quality. Try looking up wedding and portrait photographers and notice the color, brightness, sharpness, how the background looks, etc.

There are usually good pro photographers who will do outdoor shoots if that's what you'd like. Often they may allow for a change of clothes too; would you ever have a need for a professional portrait? I'm just thinking you could maybe get your money's worth getting a few professional or business portraits as well as casual portraits done in one session. I hope you can get some better pictures done that show the real you and your personality.

I'd go with 12. Speaks to the tree hugger community. Plus the exposure looks right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point, barb, and I stand corrected. In fact, I even went on to basically insinuate that the pictures matter, by mentioning what impression I'd get from some of them.
What I guess I was trying to get at was that it sounds like people take these dating site photos more seriously than I'd have thought, in terms of actually HIRING someone to do them. I don't think the "right" photo for a dating site is so much about how professional the photo looks. The OP seems to be really obsessed with getting a photo that, I don't know, makes him look like the next candidate for People magazine's "Hottest Bachelor," and that's not necessary, imo. A "not perfect," simple photo that shows a person really being themselves would draw me in faster than a professionally done, great quality image that looks super posed and like the guy is trying to hard to look "attractive."
Just be yourself.
Now, if you're interested in dating a skilled photographer--yeah, you probably want a photo that looks like it was taken by someone who knew what they were doing. :D

Of course, back to the issue of these being taken by a complete amateur who didn't know what they were doing--a GOOD pro photographer would not only get the lighting right, and eliminate the distracting backgrounds, and that sort of thing--they would also know how to work with you to end up with some candid moments that show YOU being comfortable with who you are.

For the record, I never paid to have someone take my picture for a dating website, but if I did, and they turned out like these...well, I'd be asking for my money back. And absolutely +1000 to the "just be yourself". It's incredible how many "posed" shots there were. Of course, I ended up with the guy who set his camera on a timer and took a picture of himself doing wood working. It was totally his arms that caught my attention. I totally agree that "professional" photo's aren't the right ones for a dating website. It's really hard to get a feel for someone in a posed, awkward shot.

It's not a real dating website photo unless it's 5 years old and .3 megapixels.

Most reactions

Back