Fence, sun, post, etc.

LeonardT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is this good? Criticise it, please.
344987%3A%3B23232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2356%3D323%3D45%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A%3A8896%3A9%3Bot1lsi

and criticise it i shall. i know how much it must mean to you but... you kinda blew it. fmpov at least. the exposure is wrong in that you have all this parasite light if i can call it that, ruining the contrast of the scene. of course, you can photoshop it, maybe from levels, see what you can salvage... due to the lack of contrast it lacks impact and that kinda ruins it for me.

the idea is ok but next time try to aim the exposure better. by the fact that there is no exif i presume you took it on film (can't really tell) which would quite explain the washed-out look.

i tried here to show you what i mean: i did a levels adjustment, to compensate for the exposure and then with the channel mixer set to monochrome and 100%green did a desaturation.
1.jpg

this is just an example based on your pic about how i think it should look like. it's a pretty photo :D

what i do like is the angle, very low, quite original and the use of empty space. i like that too. keep up the good work an one more thing: how did you expose and with what camera?

I'm new to photography, so I should have learned the basics before posting in the critique gallery. Thanks for the criticism nevertheless.:mrgreen:

personally i find this is the whole purpose of criticism, learning more from a practical experience. seeing what others see in your picture. stuff like that :) and most of all it is to help you understand what you know and what you do not know. you should of course read something about photography but most important is to experiment. that gives you more than any book could. but there are tips worth checking in them too. so good luck with your future photos! :)

Don't let it shake you man, criticism is tough to deliver gently, and photography is a mire of people's opinions and interpretations. It's good to post your images and hear the comments though. It's kinda like playing against my Dad in ping pong... he'll beat you mercilessly, but you'll learn a lot... fast. :)

ANYWAY... my comments are below, and please take them as they are intended--- constructive remarks from a poser and a charlatan, which hopefully will help you along your journey of becoming a better photo-person. :)

I don't think my comments would be much different. Your image overexposed, which you see as the "washing-out" effect where details get lost. The way to solve this kind of problem is to use a meter (likely you have one in your camera) to get a sense of the right exposure.

Mind you, taking a shot with such a bright light source in it makes this very challenging because while you may be able to expose that light source properly, the other elements in the image are likely to be overexposed because the difference in light between them is so significant. For this you can do the "take two photos at different exposures and cobble them together" trick, but that's tricky. :)

If you are CLOSE to the subject that you need to see (that would otherwise be lost because of the bright source light behind it), you can sometimes use a fill flash (using the flash even if you don't need to to make the exposure) and it may bring out the subject as well as the light. I don't think this is the case for you.

On a less technical note, I did have a hard time determining what the picture was about. This is probably due to your framing of the subject or just general composition issues. I don't know that there is an exact science to composition, though certainly there are many little tricks. A lot of this is just experience and tinkering, so keep at it and keep posting. The more practice and feedback you get, the better you will do.

Don't give up man! I think my pictures are "fine" now, but MAN... I look back at pics I took even a year ago and I'm borderline embarrassed by the results of many of them. :)

Keep at it!

come to think about the fill-in flash, i have a nice little feature on the dsc called slow-sync. It flashes then exposes normally. couldn't quite find it on the eos but anyways, and that can help you use flash whilst retaining warm colours on medium to far subjects.

Most reactions

Back