Fencing

Turned out to be a bit of a false alarm. They had the high-res tiffs on file, so I didn't have to have them all re-scanned. I'll be touching up the better quality shots this weekend.

The black behind the subjects isn't back enough. maybe bump the contrast

The black behind the subjects isn't back enough. maybe bump the contrast

I beg to differ. Check the Lab color info palette. Most have an L value of 2 in the background, which is actually darker than nearly any printer can print. Two of them have L values pushing 7 or 8 maximum, which is only marginally brighter than pure black for a printer, which around 5.

I beg to differ. Check the Lab color info palette. Most have an L value of 2 in the background, which is actually darker than nearly any printer can print. Two of them have L values pushing 7 or 8 maximum, which is only marginally brighter than pure black for a printer, which around 5.

then how come i can see lighter and darker crap in the background? It just seems to me that the background should be a consistent black, not a splotchy black.

I tried my best to remove the splotches. Your profile doesn't say okay or not okay to edit so if its not okay just let me know and I'll remove it.

there still is a couple of splotches but i got rid of the big ones that look like covered up windows behind her.

Last edited:
You sir are my new hero. Few people in studio work have what I consider my "idea" or aesthetic in lighting. Bingo! I can not yet achieve this high ratio of very pleasing images or even accomplishing what I see in my head. But by god someday...

profile doesn't say okay or not okay to edit so if its not okay just let me know and I'll remove it.

Then you should err on the side of caution and not do it.

In fact, let me take this opportunity to explain why I don't want anyone editing my photos.

Let's start with numbers. Anything smaller than an L value of 5 is pure black on a printer. The splotches you see have an L value of 4, and the areas you think are pure black have an L value of 2. First, 2 is not pure black in this color gamut. 0 is. As far as any printer is concerned, <5 is pure black. So these splotches you see are the difference between pure black and so black that they can't even actually be printed.

But let's talk about what this image is. It's a web-sized jpg that you just edited. Aside from the fact that you shouldn't even waste your time editing a 72dpi jpg, you didn't even edit it in the color space I did. More importantly, why shouldn't I care? Because nobody is looking at a 72dpi jpg proof on a computer screen under a loupe. When the models take their 300dpi 9x12's to costco or wherever to have them printed, do you think, given what I said in the previous paragraph, that their printer will resolve that difference? And why are they printing them anyway? To put in their book, where the background will be black as night. And what really matters? Their book matters.

But let's talk about the edit you did. With your apparently supreme visual acuity, did you not notice that you royally ****ed up my highlights? And why did you **** up my highlights? Over a splotch. A splotch that you should have painted. And why didn't you paint it? Because you didn't know better. Because that trigger finger on your mouse went straight for the curves dialog and unnecessarily applied an effect to the entire image. You heard a heart murmur and did open-heart surgery with a sledge hammer when you could have written a script.

And why did you do that? Because this is the internet and who cares, right? Who the hell am I? What's it matter if you don't edit it correctly? It matters because if I didn't say anything, there'd be a photo with ****ed up highlights and my name on it floating around the web.

But I digress. Why be so incorrigible? You made your point. I disagreed. That should have been the end of the story. But instead you went back and edited the shot. And for what? So you could say, "look how this can be improved." Look indeed.

sweet concept.

Thanks, but I can hardly take credit for the concept. It was actually the makeup artist who arranged the setting, and of course the wardrobe stylist had creative control when it came to the outfits.

Alpha, can I just say that to "hear" you rant is a real pleasure? LOL I wish I could go off like that... Too much mouse and not enough man I guess. Bravo... Score one for artistic integrity. Love your technical knowledge too... too bad I have to spend time learning about the technology that earns my expensive camera's... :)

Alpha, can I just say that to "hear" you rant is a real pleasure? LOL I wish I could go off like that... Too much mouse and not enough man I guess. Bravo... Score one for artistic integrity. Love your technical knowledge too... too bad I have to spend time learning about the technology that earns my expensive camera's... :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, though there are others on the board who know just as much, if not more than I do. We'll see how much of a pleasure it is when I spend a week in the brig (read: get banned) for "[engaging] in any inflammatory, fight-inducing behavior." :roll:

In fact, let me take this opportunity to explain why I don't want anyone editing my photos.

Let's start with numbers. Anything smaller than an L value of 5 is pure black on a printer. The splotches you see have an L value of 4, and the areas you think are pure black have an L value of 2. First, 2 is not pure black in this color gamut. 0 is. As far as any printer is concerned, <5 is pure black. So these splotches you see are the difference between pure black and so black that they can't even actually be printed.

But let's talk about what this image is. It's a web-sized jpg that you just edited. Aside from the fact that you shouldn't even waste your time editing a 72dpi jpg, you didn't even edit it in the color space I did. More importantly, why shouldn't I care? Because nobody is looking at a 72dpi jpg proof on a computer screen under a loupe. When the models take their 300dpi 9x12's to costco or wherever to have them printed, do you think, given what I said in the previous paragraph, that their printer will resolve that difference? And why are they printing them anyway? To put in their book, where the background will be black as night. And what really matters? Their book matters.

But let's talk about the edit you did. With your apparently supreme visual acuity, did you not notice that you royally ****ed up my highlights? And why did you **** up my highlights? Over a splotch. A splotch that you should have painted. And why didn't you paint it? Because you didn't know better. Because that trigger finger on your mouse went straight for the curves dialog and unnecessarily applied an effect to the entire image. You heard a heart murmur and did open-heart surgery with a sledge hammer when you could have written a script.

And why did you do that? Because this is the internet and who cares, right? Who the hell am I? What's it matter if you don't edit it correctly? It matters because if I didn't say anything, there'd be a photo with ****ed up highlights and my name on it floating around the web.

But I digress. Why be so incorrigible? You made your point. I disagreed. That should have been the end of the story. But instead you went back and edited the shot. And for what? So you could say, "look how this can be improved." Look indeed.

I just did a print and yes you can see the blocked out windows. Obviously when ur measuring your black you are not measuring from the blacked out windows (or w/e they are.) I was just pointing something out to you, that would improve your photo. But if you can't take the helpful critique, then don't post here. YOu didn't label whether or not I could edit so yes it was fine for me to do so. And I respected you and removed it since you didn't like it. An edit is just an example and no i did not "F*** up" ur hi lights

Last edited:
wow ur an a**. I just did a print and yes you can see the blocked out windows. Obviously when ur measuring your black you are not measuring from the blacked out windows (or w/e the f*** they are.) I was just pointing something out to you, that would improve your photo. But if you can't take the helpful critique, then don't post here. YOu didn't label whether or not I could edit so yes it was fine for me to do so. And I respected you and removed it since you didn't like it. An edit is just an example and no i did not "F*** up" ur hi lights

guess you didn't learn a thing after the last time you were banned for bad language

Most reactions

New Topics

Back