Feral Horse # 2

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by MyCameraEye, Feb 17, 2006.

1. MyCameraEye

MyCameraEye TPF Noob!

Here's another shot from Assateague Island, only 3 hours from DC for you people coming in April. I only ish I used a fill flash this day. I adjusted the highlights to compensate a bit.

[​IMG]

2. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    cool i like this one.....still dont get what they would be eating or drinking lazing around on a beach all day......i mean......what purpose does a beach have to a horse?!.......anyway good shot :thumbup:

3. MyCameraEye

MyCameraEye TPF Noob!

I can tell you that they did not choose to live here, a spanish ship many years ago shipwrecked and the horses escaped and swam to shore. being it is an island, they kept the the confinment of it. There is lots of grass and green on the island for them to eat. They must have adpated well because they multiply well and have been around all these years and some of them are even fat so they must get enough to eat. I know when it rains, theycome out to the paths and streets and lap up the water from puddles. The inner ponds on the island are brackish so they can drink this though it's not the best for them. When they hand out on the beach, they are resting and trying to cool down, they will stand there for hours at a time and let the wind and mist blow on them. OK, I guess I have you enoguh info.

4. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    aaahhh right, i get it, good stuff. would love to visit there sometime, looks great.

5. Reefbabe

Reefbabe TPF Noob!

Isn't this Island like a preserve for them or something? It's against the law to intervine by feeding them or touching them? Anyways.....great photo, wish I could see more. :)

6. Labonte

Labonte TPF Noob!

7. MyCameraEye

MyCameraEye TPF Noob!

The only intervining that the state does is control the herd. Once a year the swim them across the bay to VA (known as the pony drive) and then auction them off. Reason for them controling the herd is they multiply befoe food sources can grow, so with not enough food, they will not do well and with no vegatation on the island, the island will errode as well.

Scott

8. LadybearHilde

LadybearHilde TPF Noob!

I remember reading a book about them when I was a little girl ... Misty of Chincotee <spelling is awful LOL> and then there was another one for her colt

9. MyCameraEye

MyCameraEye TPF Noob!

Yup,

that would be the book though I never read it before.

Scott