Ferrania P30

I'm Italian so I guess I have to get a few rolls........:1219:

Buona fortuna, FF. Doubt they'll threaten Kodak, Ilford or Fuji. It's gotta be an utterly consistent, top-shelf quality material if their cred is to survive intact, especially since the E-6 product that floated the Kickstarter campaign is still a mirage. They can't afford to beta test it on paying customers. Hoping to see results from users well beyond the sample shooters who will soup it in every developer on the market. That's down the road but there's a place for a slow b&w film. Fingers crossed for a 120 version.

An ISO 80 film named P30? :confused-55:

An ISO 80 film named P30? :confused-55:

That's what I thought too!!! What in the heck were they thinking in the marketing department! Why not something catchy like Ferrania Edsel 80? Or Ferrania Ochenta? OR Ferrania NCIS? Or Ferrania El Dorado? You know, a really smart, clever handle for their new film!? Or maybe a more USA-centric name, like Ferrania Fat-free B&W Film!

Maybe it was P80 (panchromatic 80) but part of the "8" fell off when they printed the boxes so after discussions and a few dozen bottles of Chianti they decided to just call it P30.

That has GOT to be it...I mean Panchromatic 80 makes total,total sense!!! Like "Tri-X 400", r "Kodachrome 25", or "Kodachrome 64", or "Ektachome 100", or "Kodak Elite Chrome 100", etc...

But an ISO 80 film being saddled with the name of P30? What in the heeeeeeeeeeeck!

Blame it on the Chianti, fer' sure!

Things may change but in-house sales seem to indicate a lukewarm reception from retailers. Serious b&w shooters I know(the ones who buy and shoot many 100s of rolls annually)have their materials and processing workflows dialed in. It's borderline black art stuff. Casual shooters will buy a few rolls for the novelty but PITA access won't build up much demand. There's interest, sure, but it's yet uncertain whether hardcores will divert the time and expense to sorting out a new material. More film isn't a bad thing but P30 will have to prove itself to survive.

it has a cool look and i ordered a few rolls.

Actually my crack about the film's name is unfair since many films have been assigned numbers that had nothing to do with their speed, especially cine films which P30 was back in the 1960s. It was said to be the favorite of Fellini and other major Italian directors. This should help interest art photographers in trying it.

all kinds of super 8 options coming out (again) in the near future.

Most reactions

Back