Ferrania P30

You will all be weeping when you see my P30 shots

Please do not develop it in Rodinal!!!! Soup it in something that will show off that tight, fine, ISO 80 grain structure!

Yes, some of the most beautiful Rodinal stand-developed film I've seen. Rather small images to really,really be able to "see" how the grain looks at larger sizes, but still, I do like the tonal gradations it had when developed with the Rodinal; the D-76 for 8 minutes looked flat and low-acutance,like it had not been developed long enough; the Ilford Microphen looked maybe a little bit overly-contrasty to me; the Rodinal-developed picture DID look quite nice, I have to admit. I've developed a hundred rolls or so of 35mm in diluted Rodinal, and always found it produced larger grain that I have come to prefer, but that was always on Tri-X, so maybe it's better suited to this slow-speed B&W film.

Agree that the applause for P30 is premature. It's a new material and lots will burned to establish a working and reliable base of processing knowledge. Five rolls is a good start but you'll buying more to get even close to something approaching consistency. BTW, I wouldn't be holding my breath for Ferrania's E-6 film.

It's Italian so soup it in a nice kee-ant-ee

Agree that the applause for P30 is premature. It's a new material and lots will burned to establish a working and reliable base of processing knowledge. Five rolls is a good start but you'll buying more to get even close to something approaching consistency. BTW, I wouldn't be holding my breath for Ferrania's E-6 film.

E6 will be coming

Ferrania's site says the P30 pre-order batch is sold out.

nope, it just sold out quickly.

word. well maybe backers got their email a few hours before me, but i got an email the day the store opened and was able to purchase despite not being a backer.

word. well maybe backers got their email a few hours before me, but i got an email the day the store opened and was able to purchase despite not being a backer.

They had to crank out something after years of song and dance to maintain any cred at all. Still think the mirage-like E-6 product is way down the road.

for something to placate people who spent money that i did not, i'll take it. crowdfunding is so so. projects that did not have a solid pro forma to secure real investors. i love supporting indie fashion publications, but they usually print about 6 months after promised.

I missed out on this but hope to get to try a roll or two sometime. I read that at least part of the delay was something to do with the source of water in that region of Italy - can't remember exactly what is was, something to do with new pipes being laid that apparently took a long time and put their production on hold. I give them credit for not giving up in spite of that and getting back into film production.

Most reactions

Back