Ferris wheel (failed photoshoot)

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My "photo-goal" last weekend was to shoot a Ferris wheel composing the frame somewhat creatively, and to do it with a background of menacing clouds.

I drove 125 km to the closest midtown with an overcast forecast. The clouds were already there waiting for me and would prove to be cooperative for the most part. I took quite a lot of photos, but... the results are nowhere near what I expected.

I'm not sure where I went wrong, so I'm looking for some serious C&C here (I'm planning to re-shoot).

Thanks for looking and for helping a fellow hobbyist in distress.

Last edited:
You are being WAY too hard on yourself. The second one captivated me... That girl in the cart, the way her hair hit the wind.. and the sky, the compostion.. very nice overall. The one thing you can do to get a more menacing feel, is to selectively choose the hue of blue thats in the sky and either desaturate it, or change its hue/lightness, contrast etc. you can do a lot with these photos.

i'm not an expert at photography, so I can't tell you much...

just wanted to let you know i'm nominating #2... that photo is absolutely stunning... the contrast between the dark sky and the ferris wheel is amazing.
what is the exactly is the name of the photo (if you have one?)

I think #2 is tops of the lot. Nice composition and color.

If you do a reshoot, consider varying you shutter speed from time to time to create a sense of motion. Also, maybe step back and get a couple with the whole ferris wheel.... maybe at dusk when the lights are on. Just a thought.

All in all, nice series.

The one thing you can do to get a more menacing feel, is to selectively choose the hue of blue thats in the sky and either desaturate it, or change its hue/lightness, contrast etc. you can do a lot with these photos.
Thanks for the kind words. The images are a disappointing to me in terms of the goal I had set. Maybe in a few days I'll start warming up to some of them... :) I am not a post-processing person, and honestly don't have a clue how to do what you're suggesting here BUT I'll return to this thread when I learn Photoshop a bit (it's my goal for the winter).

just wanted to let you know i'm nominating #2 (...) what is the exactly is the name of the photo (if you have one?)
I really don't think it's worth it :) but if you insist, the name is "Dangerous Ride I". Thanks much, I appreciate it. ("Dangerous Ride" was actually the ambitious title that I had in my mind for this set before the shooting.)

If you do a reshoot, consider varying you shutter speed from time to time to create a sense of motion. Also, maybe step back and get a couple with the whole ferris wheel.... maybe at dusk when the lights are on. Just a thought.
Will do just that (the sense of motion advice). Regarding stepping back, this time there wasn't room for maneuver 'cause this midway had lots of attractions one right beside the other. Hopefully the next will be different :)

Most reactions

Back