Few Black and Whites

pics aren't showing up. links don't work

shoot sorry. how bout now?

Hm, I'd say technically speaking your shots came out really well, the exposure is right, they could profit from a little bit more contrast...
But I'd rather give some comments on the composition and the objects in your photographs:
1. It's a nice photograph, but it's a shot of a guitar, we've basically seen a million times. I know, sometimes it's hard to come up with a new perspective and angle and sometimes trying too hard ends in a forced-looking result, but the photograph is a little bit like a cliché.
Don't worry, I never even tried to approach a guitar, because I can't come up with a creative composition! ;)
2. This is a really good portrait, I have no idea, though, why I wish you'd used a bit more depth of field. I know that often in portraits people should be isolated from the background, but I'd have liked to see that shot with a lot of DOF.
3.-5. You know, I know what you have been aiming for with these shots. And basically there is nothing wrong with them, but you know what the biggest problem with these photographs is: the trees. All those twigs and branches create so much chaos and adds too little to the overall composition that they are just too much of a distraction. And the center of attention, the bridge, is simply not strong enough to pull you back into the photograph.
If you look at the Ansel Adams photograph "Aspens", you will realize how he took care of that problem, when photographing wooden areas. He darkened all those twigs and branches and pushed them really to the back.

Well, I hope this helped a little! ;)
Otherwise these photographs are really good tries and I'd encourage you to keep posting. :)

Hm, I'd say technically speaking your shots came out really well, the exposure is right, they could profit from a little bit more contrast...
But I'd rather give some comments on the composition and the objects in your photographs:
1. It's a nice photograph, but it's a shot of a guitar, we've basically seen a million times. I know, sometimes it's hard to come up with a new perspective and angle and sometimes trying too hard ends in a forced-looking result, but the photograph is a little bit like a cliché.
Don't worry, I never even tried to approach a guitar, because I can't come up with a creative composition! ;)
2. This is a really good portrait, I have no idea, though, why I wish you'd used a bit more depth of field. I know that often in portraits people should be isolated from the background, but I'd have liked to see that shot with a lot of DOF.
3.-5. You know, I know what you have been aiming for with these shots. And basically there is nothing wrong with them, but you know what the biggest problem with these photographs is: the trees. All those twigs and branches create so much chaos and adds too little to the overall composition that they are just too much of a distraction. And the center of attention, the bridge, is simply not strong enough to pull you back into the photograph.
If you look at the Ansel Adams photograph "Aspens", you will realize how he took care of that problem, when photographing wooden areas. He darkened all those twigs and branches and pushed them really to the back.

Well, I hope this helped a little! ;)
Otherwise these photographs are really good tries and I'd encourage you to keep posting. :)

Thanks for the help "Sidewinder"! I am going to try and maybe darken the trees a bit like in "Aspens." I will definitely post some more pictures probably this weekend, well, I hope =]. Thanks a lot!
nickvitucci

I LOVE the guitar shot, great point of view!

Most reactions

Back