Few from the fourth

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Kegger, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Kegger

Kegger TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Took some snaps on the fourth of some friends of mine. Tell me what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kellylindseyphotography

kellylindseyphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The first one has no real emotion in it. Snapshot.

The following 3 are myspace/party pics. All are snapshots but I'm sure that the people in them love them :)

3. ryan7783

ryan7783 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    hey sparklers inside - great way to burn your house down

4. Kegger

Kegger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's my nephew, he has no emotion. HAHA, he always looks like that.
    I know that they aren't the best, I was just trying out fill flash for the first real time.

Thanks for the critique.

5. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm a beginner also, so my critique may not be too good, but your exposure is a tad bit direct. If you're shooting with an onboard flash, there's nothing you can do about it except for maybe put one of those little diffuser sock things over it. But if you look on their cheeks, you'll see white spots where the detail of the image is gone from it being overexposed. This is common when a shot is taken straight on with flash. But its not that bad, either. My shots when I try and use fill flash are A LOT harsher than this. I wish I could tone down my flash enough to limit the blown out spots as much as you have.

I agree somewhat with wishing your nephew would smile, but at least he looked at the camera :) . As far as the other three shots, I think they could benefit from maybe a bit less depth of field (lower the number on the f-stop to something around f/4). BTW your subjects in the last three are beautiful, and they have gorgeous eyes (you did a good job with that). My only question is whether or not I can come to your party next year! Please!?! :)

BTW, I don't see any real purpose in posting how good a photo is (great, snapshot, etc.) if you don't give any tips on how to improve said shot for next time, or at least say why you like or dislike about the shot. Even when someone just asks what you think, I think we owe them a decent explanation of how to improve when we feel their photos aren't what they could be. Sorry, but I felt a need to express my opinion. You don't have to agree with me, and I respect your choice to post whatever you want.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  6. Kegger

Kegger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Senor, the depth of field suggestion is a great one and will implement ASAP. I never use the onboard except as a trigger. Most of the portraiture-ish pictures I take, I use an SB-600 with a stofen, that way I can cut down on the overexposed parts. But with a spur of the moment thing, it's bound to happen.

And of course you are invited. MN, on the fourth. See ya there.

7. JCleveland

JCleveland TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    have you not ever put sparklers on a cake?? or candles for that matter??

Regarding the photos, I'm no expert on lighting, but by the 'sound' of it, Senor Hound is right on the money in my books.