Few noob shots to C&C

sovietdoc

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A few quick snaps of hanging out in a park with friends. Please C&C everything.

sunflower.jpg

waterfall.jpg

mountain.jpg

The first one is really interesting shot....I liked it, especially the tiny spider...:)
The second and third some how looks too normal....

1 - alright, sort of your average flower shot, but nice that you caught the spider on there too. Would have liked a closer shot with less empty space around the flower.

2 - Has a bit of a colorcast and I would have tried an ND filter to get the water to look a little better. Not sure if this would have effected your ability to catch the rainbow in there or not.

3 - a VERY nice shot.

I think the first one's ok, but as bursting said, too much dead space. A nice macro shot of this would have been good.

The waterfall could have benefited from stopping down quite a bit and slowing the shutter speed to make the water more blured. Three's also something weird going on with the greens, maybe just over saturated.

I really like the composition and color of the last one. The only thing I would have liked is to go a little wider and crop it to look more like a panoramic to get more of the mountain on the left.

Is the last one HDR? It's a really nice shot, but the foreground greenery looks a little 'garbled'. It's possible that it's from the jpg compression though.

#3 speaks to me and it says .... The hills are alive with the sound of music with song they have sung for a thousand yeeeeeaaaarrrss!

On a serious note I think they are very pretty and I love how crisp #3 is. Great job!

Nah, none of them are HDR. Yeah I was thinking about the water too, should have done it at a slower shutter speed. I guess I could just crop the first shot to have very little green around the flower so that the entire shot is just it.

Not too bad. The first photo of the flower + spider is a pretty straightforward look at a flower. I think there's too much space left at the top of the frame though, and for web display I think the image needs more unsharp masking applied; this is a tough issue though, and depends on web hosting and re-sizing algorithms, final display size vs hosted size,etc,etc.

Your second shot of the waterfall with the small bridge at the top of the falls is suffering horribly from bad chromatic aberration; whatever the sensor/lens combo you have is not working. The photo exhibits the classic symptoms of a wide-angle lens that has poor control over chromatic aberration; the edges of basically everything in the frame have a faint fringe. Your lens is killing an otherwise beautiful photograph!!! Your composition is good, and the vantage point and the rainbow are all excellent--it's just that the lens's CA is killing this high-detail photo. This is where a top-grade lens would have improved the photo and made a truly superb shot just come to life.

The third shot looks sort of post card like, but the composition is not quite 100 percent maximized. The tones and colors are nice enough, but the balance of mountains and trees and foreground is not quite perfected yet. It is though a lovely scene.

first one is really nice. but kinda noisy in the shadows.
#2 should have been done with a tripod. I guess you used the 18-55? i try to avoid that lens.
#3 some clouds'd be nice and b&w. Also pretty bad image quality, though the composition is REALLY nice in both this and #2. It's gotta be the lens.

I am so glad that I wasn't the only one who saw number 3 and started seeing myself twirling and singing!

All three shots were taken with 17-85 IS USM, I think the first shot was at ISO 400 because I didn't know what I was doing..

On the second shot I shot it at 17mm which wasn't very smart as @17mm 17-85 probably performs at its worst. I later found out than on zooms its better to shoot at something in between "17 or 85" for better quality, and also to stop down a few because it performs the worst at f/4.0 Didn't know it then heh..

Third shot I don't remember the settings I took it at, yeah I guess leaving a bit more of the mountain on the left could have made a better shot.

3rd was definitely lucky, and when I looked at it it just looked one of the postcard shots.

Thanks for the C&C, all very helpful.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back