Field camera. Support your troops and help this one out

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Sterling_Sinner, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Sterling_Sinner

Sterling_Sinner TPF Noob!

I'm in the United States Army and I'm into photography. I've been out in the field and I've seen many shots that I wish I could get on film but my cameras are fairly bulky and hard to carry. I'd like the control of an SLR the direct view cameras are alright for capturing the moment but I also would like control over my images. Does anyone have any advice for a camera I could take into the field with me that would be relatively small and easy to carry that I could have creative control over my images? I'm sure I could devise a case to keep it from damage. I just want something that I can carry with me and be able to control my images that isn't as bulky as a regular 35mm SLR. There are some great shots out there and I'd like to get them

2. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Find a used Pentax Spotmatic. They are cheap and built like tanks. No frills, but they take excellent pics, and you'll be able to get one for almost "disposable" prices.

3. Sterling_Sinner

Thank you for the suggestion. Does anyone else know of any other good cameras so I can figure out what kind of camera I should put my money towards?

4. ksmattfish

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Whoops! I didn't catch the "not as bulky as a regular 35mm SLR" part. A Spotmatic is pretty much regular SLR sized.

5. Sterling_Sinner

That's ok, at least someone is trying to help me out. I really appreciate it. It is difficult to find a camera to fit my lifestyle

6. ksmattfish

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You need a 35mm rangefinder. They are smaller and quieter than a SLR, but still allow shutter and aperture control. There are some still being made, and lot's of great older models out there. Leica, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Konica, and many more. They range in price from $75 to $7500 for collectables.