Fight Club Discussion

Well, I decided that it was high time that these contests got some in depth record keeping, so I spent about 12 hours inputting data to an excel sheet, checking results, and getting it to do some number crunching for me. Here's some interesting facts I came up with:

1. The highest number of contests entered by a single person is 11 by Artograph and kundalini. Chiller and Chris of Arabia both have 10, and sleeping dragon is at 8.

2. Chiller has the highest total point count (161), leading Artograph (122) and Chris of Arabia (110)

3. Chiller also has the highest average points per contest (16.1), ahead of MikeBcos (14.0) and Marinaw (11.5)

4. The previous one, however, didn't take into consideration different amounts of voters in each contest. So this is it, the highest average votes per contest, per voter is, obvious, really. Chiller (1.35) leading Chris of Arabia (1.29) and Contengi (1.10)

5. The total number of votes cast in Fight Club is 987

6. The highest contest participation is 13 Fighters, on Weeks 12 and 14.

7. The highest number of voters is 18, from week 16

That's all I have right now, but it should be pretty easy to squeeze some more facts out of this if there's anything y'all want to know!

Last edited:
That is so cool. Thanks for taking the time to post this. If people leave me alone this weekend, I hope to be back.

Now given that I've spent the last week crunching IT service desk data for 2008 to try and come up with meaningful information, it's good to know I was not alone.

A word about participation:

Participation seems to be dwindling as of late. Weeks 16 and 18 in FC had low numbers in the competition, while week 17 (Which was advertised in a big way) had enough fighters, but the lowest voter turnout since week 6.

You can see it in Boxer Turtle as well. Though a respectable 11 people played last round, only 11 voted as well. The participation may also have been a result of the multiple topics (More freedom, more people had ideas), but the participation in rounds 1-5 was: 16, 13, 12, 7, 8.

I really do think these are worthwhile contests, and I do want to see them continue for a long time, but with the sheer amount of time and effort I put into keeping it all going every week, it needs to feel a bit less like going to visit Grandma in the nursing home...

Please, I'm begging all of you...Prove me wrong!

Reposted from an earlier session:
Encouraging enrollment from a newbie point of view.

I am extremely outgoing. The life following my husband around in he military has made me one who just jumps in and swims. Then why did I feel like a cat near water when it came to joining fight club and boxer turtle? Because.....

You all were intimidating! I watched a few rounds of fight club chewing my lips out of concern. Do I enter.... Do I not enter?

In my head were these holding me back thoughts: (and reality in italics after I joined the fun)

1. OMG they are out of my league.

Yeah, they are good. It's fun though. My first vote (for my photo) almost made me cry out of joy. I now realize it is pretty subjective. Some winners have not had the best technical skills but their pictures shine by subject and creativity alone.

2. I feel like I'm intruding at the cool table in high school all over again.

Everyone seemed so clique-ey when I just watched and voted. Once I joined in they welcomed me freely. It truly was a case of "it's all in your head". That thought that you wouldn't want an outsider to join was totally ridiculous.

I feel if you posted a sticky welcoming newcomers to the group would go along way to encouraging enrollment. Tell them other newbies have joined (like me) and now look forward to FIGHT ON. :playball:

I am personally hampered to do fight club due to my new job. I work on sunday.....every sunday (grumble grumble). Maybe the time difference problem for this worldly club is a factor as well. Is it possible to switch to an honor system? Everyone regardless of the time has 1 hour from viewing the topics to post their shots. We run the voting on an honor system so why not stretch that idea. One could even send a quick message when they see the topics to time stamp their arrival. After 24 hours submissions are closed and voting commences. Some will cheat..... yes that is human nature, but I think it has merit. The main objective is to have fun.

A word about participation:

Participation seems to be dwindling as of late. Weeks 16 and 18 in FC had low numbers in the competition, while week 17 (Which was advertised in a big way) had enough fighters, but the lowest voter turnout since week 6.

You can see it in Boxer Turtle as well. Though a respectable 11 people played last round, only 11 voted as well. The participation may also have been a result of the multiple topics (More freedom, more people had ideas), but the participation in rounds 1-5 was: 16, 13, 12, 7, 8.

I really do think these are worthwhile contests, and I do want to see them continue for a long time, but with the sheer amount of time and effort I put into keeping it all going every week, it needs to feel a bit less like going to visit Grandma in the nursing home...

Please, I'm begging all of you...Prove me wrong!

I really want to participate but my camera is still out for repairs. I can't really do it with my 35mm. :(

Reposted from an earlier session:

I am personally hampered to do fight club due to my new job. I work on sunday.....every sunday (grumble grumble). Maybe the time difference problem for this worldly club is a factor as well. Is it possible to switch to an honor system? Everyone regardless of the time has 1 hour from viewing the topics to post their shots. We run the voting on an honor system so why not stretch that idea. One could even send a quick message when they see the topics to time stamp their arrival. After 24 hours submissions are closed and voting commences. Some will cheat..... yes that is human nature, but I think it has merit. The main objective is to have fun.

I wish something like that would work, but it really doesn't. I think a lot of the fun of the competition is how fast everything goes. Refreshing until you see the topics, and watching everyone's submissions appear at (more or less) the same time. Besides that, there would be this issue: The 1 hr isn't just for shooting, editing, posting. It also applies to coming up with the ideas, so if someone happens to see the topics while they're at work, try as they might, they won't be starting from a level playing field when they get home.

Boxer Turtle was started as a contest for those who couldn't be at FC every week, so there's still that... Plus, there's nothing stopping you from playing FC whenever you want if it's just for fun, right? ;)

I find the challenge of Fight Club fine the way it is. Sends my mind hurling through this creative void, knowing the seconds on the clock tick away. What a parallel universe to life in an hour.
I think that is what makes Fight Club so unique. As far as I know, this is the only place that has something like this. It is open to everyone, alive or dead, and to everyone at all levels of photography, ....but I notice those squaking pros never venture in.....:lol::lol::lol:chickensheeits:lol::lol::lol:
Im diggin all the new participants every weekend too. It is all a fun challenge.

I find the challenge of Fight Club fine the way it is. Sends my mind hurling through this creative void, knowing the seconds on the clock tick away. What a parallel universe to life in an hour.
I think that is what makes Fight Club so unique. As far as I know, this is the only place that has something like this. It is open to everyone, alive or dead, and to everyone at all levels of photography, ....but I notice those squaking pros never venture in.....:lol::lol::lol:chickensheeits:lol::lol::lol:
Im diggin all the new participants every weekend too. It is all a fun challenge.

Funny, I notice that too! :lmao:

I haven't been home the last few Sunday afternoons, so haven't been able to participate in FC with pics, although I always try to make sure I vote (I think I just missed voting once). Same re Boxer Turtle this week...I had in a mind a pic and thought I'd be home to post it, but unexpectedly got kidnapped, hauled out for brunch totally against my will and forced to eat large quantities of yummy food. So I missed BT this week as well.

Last weekend and 1 or 2 of the next weekends are March break in this area, which may affect some people's ability to participate. But the contests are fun and I intend to keep participating whenever I'm available. I personally really appreciate all the time and effort you put into running these 2 contests, and I'm willing to take turns running them to ease the load on you, as well as let you participate.

I really like Fight Club. It helps knock out some of the cobwebs in the grey matter. For me, the challenge isn't trying to make a perfect photo, it's about creativity. That's why everyone should give it a try.

I was annoyed for like 2-3 seconds when the new stats came out and seeing I had participated so much and received so few votes. Wanted to take my ball and go home. :lol:

The next couple of weeks..... I'll have to check the game schedules, but I plan on voting regardless. I've also got an idea dancing around that may help others to realize that it's the "Fun Factor" to participate in FC.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back