Fight Club Discussion

A word about participation:

Participation seems to be dwindling as of late. Weeks 16 and 18 in FC had low numbers in the competition, while week 17 (Which was advertised in a big way) had enough fighters, but the lowest voter turnout since week 6.

You can see it in Boxer Turtle as well. Though a respectable 11 people played last round, only 11 voted as well. The participation may also have been a result of the multiple topics (More freedom, more people had ideas), but the participation in rounds 1-5 was: 16, 13, 12, 7, 8.

I really do think these are worthwhile contests, and I do want to see them continue for a long time, but with the sheer amount of time and effort I put into keeping it all going every week, it needs to feel a bit less like going to visit Grandma in the nursing home...

Please, I'm begging all of you...Prove me wrong!

My thoughts.....I think that there are several die-hard fans of the fight clubs (me included!!! LOL!! ...Just in case you didn't know!! :D), and there are a bunch that really enjoy it, and come out fairly regularly....and it seems that there are always a few newcomers each time as well.

I think that it's just the nature of the beast....there might be weeks that are up in numbers, and some that are down...and I wonder if the nice weather upon us will see fewer numbers yet. (Maybe if numbers get too low over the summer....we take a break and start up in the fall again....?? We can see how things go!!)

I do hope to see contiuned success of the fight clubs!!!! :D

P.S. Thank you again, for all your efforts to make Fight Club and Boxer Turtle such fun.....and possible!!!!! :hug::

I really like Fight Club. It helps knock out some of the cobwebs in the grey matter. For me, the challenge isn't trying to make a perfect photo, it's about creativity. That's why everyone should give it a try.

I completely agree with this. I just found FC a month or so ago. I've actually been telling all of my photography geek friends about it so that they can join in the fun.

Thanks for doing FC! :thumbup:

I am working on something that might help FC grow and i want to know your thoughts.

What if... you could log in to FC(whenever you want before 3pm EST on Sundays) and check out an assignment (5 topics) then take your pics in an hour and upload/post them. The at 3/4pm ish the pictures get posted and allows voters to click on the picture you voted for (you won't know the photographer, unless it's chiller he always has the cool boarders) and all the votes are automaticly tallied. Sound cool?

So you still only have an hour to take the photos but you could do them when you had time rather than just on Sundays. Then on Sunday all the photos would be displayed by group and the voters could just click on one photo per group.

So far i am still gathering reqirements and looking to see if it can be done in a forum fashion (i know i could set it up with php on my site but it needs to stay here)

The only pitfall that i have found so far is if someone has two accounts they could get the topics with one then take longer and submit with the other. But i don't think that would be a real problem here becuase you don't win prizes just street cred.

What do you guys think? I will be on a 3 month education vaction from work so i might have time to figure somthing out.

I am working on something that might help FC grow and i want to know your thoughts.

What if... you could log in to FC(whenever you want before 3pm EST on Sundays) and check out an assignment (5 topics) then take your pics in an hour and upload/post them. The at 3/4pm ish the pictures get posted and allows voters to click on the picture you voted for (you won't know the photographer, unless it's chiller he always has the cool boarders) and all the votes are automaticly tallied. Sound cool?

So you still only have an hour to take the photos but you could do them when you had time rather than just on Sundays. Then on Sunday all the photos would be displayed by group and the voters could just click on one photo per group.

So far i am still gathering reqirements and looking to see if it can be done in a forum fashion (i know i could set it up with php on my site but it needs to stay here)

The only pitfall that i have found so far is if someone has two accounts they could get the topics with one then take longer and submit with the other. But i don't think that would be a real problem here becuase you don't win prizes just street cred.

What do you guys think? I will be on a 3 month education vaction from work so i might have time to figure somthing out.

x2, + rep defy XD

...I'll be working all weekend this week, so I won't be able to play or help. :(

Oh well..., I could use the money...

I think if it could be worked out it would be great. I like the idea of not knowing who took the pictures. I try not to be influenced by name but I feel I don't give more than three votes to the same person because I think others will feel bad they got none. Silly eh? I'd have no idea how to go about making that happen though. Blindness only works with emails as far a I know.

I like the idea of not knowing who your voting for... I just dont get the time thing... you can come on at ANY time Sunday morning to check it... and then have from 3-4 to post them?

So I could get up at 9 lets say, check the site and then have from 9am to 3pm to take and edit my pictures? maybe I am not understanding something lol

So I could get up at 9 lets say, check the site and then have from 9am to 3pm to take and edit my pictures? maybe I am not understanding something lol

I think he means they get posted at 3. You submit them 1 hour from when you view the topics.

They just get collected by whoever is running the show, and then they all get posted at the same time.

so it would be a trust thing then? you would have to trust that when someone looks at it they will post there pictures within the hour... I like the set time personally, I like the not knowing who's is what tho, a lot

so it would be a trust thing then? you would have to trust that when someone looks at it they will post there pictures within the hour... I like the set time personally, I like the not knowing who's is what tho, a lot

Well the deadline can still be 1 hour but you need to email in the photos.

Alright... here is my take on Fight Club and why my participation has been wavering. I swear this is meant to be constructive :D

I felt like when I first started in, everyone would vote for the name they knew (even though some awful shots and concepts were getting votes). Personally, I try to vote for what I feel is the best in each category. If one person has the best in all 5 categories, then they will get all 5 of my votes.

And you have to love how everyone tries to make their picture fit the category. As in, they will write an entire sentence and throw the topic in parenthesis. I say, let your picture do the talking. If the viewer cannot make the connection on their own, it probably does not work for the topic.

Finally, I think everyone should really think before they cast their votes. I am not sure what is priority when it comes to selecting the "best" picture... a well composed image? Maybe one that takes the topic and manages to do something creative (beyond the obvious choice for a picture)? How about one that is technically sound? This is all so subjective, but often, I cannot help but scratch my head when when an out of focus, ill-composed, topic stretched, white balance disaster successfully gets the most votes in a given category.

Ahhh... that felt better! Anyway, I love Fight Club. It's a great concept, and it's certainly good practice. It forces you to perform under pressure. You have to be creative and look for interesting subject matter (a lot of times) in your own home. Thanks for letting me rant... see you guys again on Sunday (not that anyone will vote for me now, lol)?

I am not sure what is priority when it comes to selecting the "best" picture...

I pick the one that I feel best illustrates the topic. It doesn't have to be technically perfect - it just has to represent the topic.

Like, if the topic was "fear" and you post a picture of a flower - you won't get my vote.

Personally, I think Fight Club is fine the way we do it now.

I don't really see the need to make it anonymous. It's not like there are prizes or anything...

I pick the one that I feel best illustrates the topic. It doesn't have to be technically perfect - it just has to represent the topic.

Like, if the topic was "fear" and you post a picture of a flower - you won't get my vote.

Aww, man... you mean you wouldn't vote for me if I posted a picture of a flower with the heading "Fear (of getting stepped on)?"

Aww, man... you mean you wouldn't vote for me if I posted a picture of a flower with the heading "Fear (of getting stepped on)?"

Only if it was noise free, followed the rule of thirds, and was taken with "L" glass.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back