File saving woes.

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by domromer, Mar 25, 2008.

1. domromer

domromer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've had to submit a bunch of pics lately and they needed some work done. The files were jpgs and when I finished work on them I chose save as, I didn't want to effect the original file. So I selected save as and saved them as tiffs. When the files went to my desktop they were still labeled as jpegs but the files size had tripled. I tried to open them in PS shop but it said it was an unreadable jpeg. What's going on? Why can't I save a JPG as a tiff?

Also is there anyway to get PS to add the file tag? I use a mac and it doesn't put jpg or tiff at the end of the file name. I need it for my online printer.
    [​IMG]

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    MAC does use file extensions....
    FInder->Preferences->Advanced->Show File extensions.

Don't quite understand the initial question.... always worked for me. What version of PS? In my CS2, you use "save for web" option. It will down size/resize and optimize for JPEG as necessary. There is a dialog that allows you to select JPEG options.

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    btw.. once you figure it out... you can create an action to batch save a bunch of files from TIFF to JPG.

4. astrostu

astrostu Guest

TIFF will be a much larger file size that JPG (generally speaking). Just change the file extension to .tif from .jpg.

5. domromer

domromer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks, I fixed the problem.