File Type Question

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by dmatsui, Jan 16, 2009.

1. dmatsui

dmatsui TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Basically i just made an hdr image in photo matix saved it as a 16 bit TIFF file then went to photoshop edited the picture saved one as a TIFF and wanted to save a jpg version aswell but that doesnt seem to be possible. These tiff files can be really big do i just upload the TIFF file onto flickr/deviantart?
    I would guess that this would be a pretty straightforward question but i'm afraid i dont know the answer, hence i'm asking for help :)

2. MikeBcos

MikeBcos TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You probably need to flatten the image before you can save it as a jpg, Layer - Flatten Image.

3. dmatsui

dmatsui TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    flattening the image? I'll try that, i assume that just flattens the photo in the sense that the layers and what not are not included in the save?

edit: i ended up changing it to an 8 bit photo which allowed me to save in .jpg
    I'm just curious if this is the way i should be doing it?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  4. Peano

Peano TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes. Jpegs are 8 bit. By the way, you don't have to flatten an image to save it as a jpeg. Photoshop will merge the layers during the saving process (without affecting the .psd layers).