files not deleting

blissful

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a favour to ask...I have had a problem with the card from my camera....theres files on there that say you can't see them (when on computer) and then when the cards in my camera....it says some other silly message. I have tried to delete these files many times...and sometimes I think i am successful..but then I see them back on card..
How do I get rid of them..is my card corrupted?

The solution is to format the card in your camera. It's quite likely that it was either formatted for another camera or formatted at the factory in some way not completely compatible with your camera.

-or-

If it's a card you've been successfully using for a while, then it may be going bad.

-or-

If it's a new card to your camera, and, for example, your camera is 5-6 years old or older and the card is 32gb or higher, it's quite likely the camera cannot handle memory cards with that large a storage capacity. If that's the case, you'll need a smaller memory card, say, 8gb or maybe 16gb.

Old card readers for your computer may not handle newer larger cards. Follow Bratkinson's suggestion and format the card in your camera. That should check the card's quality and write a new directory table. It won't remove the photos, but it will make the space available to be written again, and they won't appear to be there.

As CameraClicker alludes to - files are never actually deleted (or erased) from a memory card.
Instead the memory locations where the photo file was written are again made available for writing new data over the old data.

Formatting the card updates the FAT - File Allocation Table - such that all usable memory locations on the card are again available.
During the formatting process any bad memory sectors that are discovered on the card are also noted in the FAT so they won't be used.

Flash memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CompactFlash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File Allocation Table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
thanks for all the helpful comments....I really appreciate them all. So how do you format the card in the camera?

BTW, my camera is an Olympus SP 590UZ

Last edited:
thanks for all the helpful comments....I really appreciate them all. So how do you format the card in the camera? Also the card is one I got with camera....

thanks for all the helpful comments....I really appreciate them all. So how do you format the card in the camera?

BTW, my camera is an Olympus SP 590UZ

It's right here:http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/sp-590uz_instruction_manual_en.pdf

Page 50.
hi,
Went to a store today as they had a card on sale..however I wasn't sure if it would fit my camera so asked. The technician asked to see my camera so i showed him what the file does...and he said he wasn't sure if a new card would fix the problem or not. He said that make of camera is about 6 yrs old and they don't even make cards like that anymore. He said they did away with that type of card. Basicly I got the feeling he was telling me the camera is old so get anew one. Will try formatting the card but this had me think maybe I should look more seriously of getting anew camera...thanks for the helpful hints to any who gave me advice..

As I suggested yesterday, read the manual. It's online.

In checking what kind of memory card is needed, the XD cards are still very much available. Amazon.com: xd memory card
I suspect the camera store salesman was trying to make a big sale rather than just a memory card.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm not sure about your camera, but mine lets me "lock" a file which prevents modifying or deleting it "in camera"

You might have accidentally locked some files. I've done that in the past until I figured out what that "lock" feature was that I would press from time to time, thus locking photos.

Read your manual.

After formatting you may find the files are back or still there. Some cameras save data/administration files on the card for the use of the camera. If the files are small and not pictures, and change size with the number of pictures on the card, that could be the case with your camera.

thanks for the helpful hints....I am printing off the manual so I have it to read when I am not on the computer.and I will not pay attention to sales clerks who more than likely have ulterior motives for givingme info like that. I am going to format the card when I have time. Thanks everyone.

thanks for the helpful hints....I am printing off the manual so I have it to read when I am not on the computer.and I will not pay attention to sales clerks who more than likely have ulterior motives for givingme info like that. I am going to format the card when I have time. Thanks everyone.

yay! Thanks to all your helpful hints, I was able to finally remove the bad files and now my card is free...thanks!!!
Joanne

Most reactions

New Topics

Back