Files too large!

Laser180481

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, quick question. I love my new XTi but I've noticed that when I transfer images to my computer, the file sizes of all the pictures are each about 5MB. This is annoyingly large. Not only does it take a while to transfer, but whenever I have to email pictures, it always says the files are too large. Attachments for Hotmail, for example, is a 10MB limit which is two pictures if I'm lucky.

I'm wondering if there is a way to reduce the file size. Could this be accomplished with the software that came with the camera like Canon Digital Photo Professional, EOS Utility, or Zoom Browser? Or is it a matter of choosing image quality on the camera settings? If this is the case, is there a way to reduce the size of images that have already been taken at high quality?

Thanks for the help, its greatly appreciated.

Always use the highest size & quality setting on the camera. Many of us go all the way and shoot in RAW mode (which would make your files even larger).

You need to work out a 'workflow' for your images. First, upload the images from the card (I suggest a card reader, rather than connecting to the camera). Plan out a file/folder naming system and save your files in a folder.

Keep these files as your originals...just like film negatives. These are your master files, so don't save over them.

If you want to edit, tweak, crop, rotate etc your photos...open with with an image editing program. Then 'save-as'...and save your image in a new (sub) folder. This is your 'working' copy. If you want to change/edit it again later, open this one.
Now, if you want to E-mail or upload your images...open the working copy and change the size. You will want to reduce the size to about 800 pixels (or even 600 pixels) on the longest side. Then 'save-as' again...make sure to choose JPEG. You should be able to set a quality or compression level. This will let you set how much compression is applied...which makes the image smaller. In Photoshop, I usually choose about 8 to 10, on a scale of 12. Save this new file in another folder ('for web' or for 'e-mail'). After resizing and compressing the image...the file size should be nice and small...you shouldn't have a problem E-mailing a whole handful of them.

So when you are done, you might have three or four copies of some of your images...but that's better than dealing with large files for web/e-mail.

Note that purchasing a camera, so many are swayed by the pixel count. Then they promptly reduce the size of their pictures.

5MB may seem 'annoying large' now but when going after prints larger than 4x5, you will opt for 20-30 MB files.

Keep each picture in 2 sizes, original uncompressed and a jpeg, name them identically, the file extension will discern the difference. That way you can put together a jpeg 'portfolio' or 'album' which loads quickly, but not loose the real image which is needed for editing and printing.

I shoot and create Panoramas that are made up of as many as 15-20 images and sometimes even more. I actually "go for it" when it comes to file sizes. If my final image isn't 150-200 meg I feel let down!

I shoot and create Panoramas that are made up of as many as 15-20 images and sometimes even more. I actually "go for it" when it comes to file sizes. If my final image isn't 150-200 meg I feel let down!

15-20 images stitched for 150-200mb, I'd be feeling let down, tell me, your final crop, by any chance, are the settings at 72ppi? H

I'm wondering if there is a way to reduce the file size. Could this be accomplished with the software that came with the camera like Canon Digital Photo Professional, EOS Utility, or Zoom Browser? Or is it a matter of choosing image quality on the camera settings?
You can use Digital Photo Professional to batch re-size your photos into smaller copies. You don't want to over-write the originals, but create a set of copies in another directory. Choosing the right resolution and the JPEG compression will let you stay pretty close to a target file size. I've been using this tool to resize photos to display on a digital photo frame.

I let the Canon EOS utility automatically move the RAW images from the camera to my hard-drive and automatically create a directory by date. I have the utility automatically open ZoomBrowser EX to view and sort the downloaded images.

With the 40D, I shoot in RAW + Small JPEG mode. The small JPEGs are usually under the 1MB limit for my free Photobucket account.

Thanks. :D

We do use stickies...but we also don't want the top of every section to be overrun with stickies.

I believe we once tried to have s bunch of 'standard info' stickies...and would then direct questions to them...but, if I remember correctly, it came off as unfriendly rather than helpful.

We might resurrect something like that in the future...but part of the problem with that, is that there is still a lot of opinion involved...and not everyone agrees. When it's stickied...it's a little too much like "this the forum's official position...and I'm not sure we really want to do that too much.
And sometimes the advice/information is best when tailored to the member to whom it's being given.

I'm thinking of adding a bunch of this stuff to my blog...maybe then I can link some of the more common things...rather than typing out the same answers every week.

And lastly...nobody reads the stickies anyway. :roll:

Theres a micro soft power toy that allows you to select as many pics as you want then right click and there is an option to resize to any size you want. And the nice thing is it copys them so its not writing over the originals. This is so much quicker than opening each in photoshop and doing it manually

Most reactions

New Topics

Back