1. (you can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner)

As part of our new initiative on TPF you can come and take part in a series of new in-depth articles and discussions every month. Featured this month are the methods that one of our top avian photographers, Kristofer Rowe uses to get his stunning photos (as also featured on Tamron USA website as well!). So drop in and take part, I know that Kristofer will be happy to answer your questions and hear what you do out in the field with your camera!

Capturing Distinctive Bird Images

Fill Flash off camera flash

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Holly, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Holly

Holly TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Back to Digital Matt :) HE said I should try some OFF camera flashes for my portraits instead of the on camera flash.. Direct the light else where.. Fill flash I Guess is what this is called?

WOULD this flash be TO much? IF so I have a Nikon D70... A Flash I can use to bounce off the ceiling would work too.. Do you have any recommendations?

[​IMG]

thanks!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Fill flash and off camera flash are different things. Fill is just a term for light that fills in the shadow areas without being the main light.

Bouncing the flash with a unit like this will be a big improvement over the built-in flash...but unless you move it off the camera...it's still on the camera.

What you need is some way to trigger a flash that is not sitting on your camera. You can do it with cords, with a flash trigger (it goes off at the same time as another flash) or with some sort of wireless radio trigger.

Have a look at this site and read though the lighting 101 section. You don't necessarily need the expensive Pocket Wizard system that he recommends...but there are a lot of good tips and techniques for off camera flash.

3. Holly

Holly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    THanks Mike!