Fill Flash Questions

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by AprilRamone, Dec 4, 2005.

1. AprilRamone

AprilRamone TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey Guys,
    I was excited for a snow shoot I had the other morning, buy I felt like I might need to utilized this "fill flash" during the day stuff that I have heard a lot about. However, I have one pic without it and the other with it. Notice how the flash only seem to illuminate the upper portion of the pic (even if I changed the setting to be closer or farther away on the flash unit I own). Can someone please explain why this is happening and maybe some further advice on using Fill flash during the day outdoors and maybe even shooting in the snow? Thank you so so much!
    Also please keep in mind that I moved the angle of the flash to a lot of different angles and they all pretty much looked like that first one no matter if I had it angle high or straight on.
    -April
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kent Frost

Kent Frost TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Assuming that you're using the pop-up flash and also a lens hood, take your lens hood off. It's blocking the bottom part.

Also, you should meter for the background so you don't blow out any details in the snow. The flash will take care of your subject.

Like so (although I know it's not a snowy scene):

[​IMG]

3. Unimaxium

Unimaxium TPF Noob!

Northeastern University, originally from Philly
    Photos OK to edit
    Chances are: either you're using too fast a shutter speed, or your lens is too large for the popup flash and is casting a shadow.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm guessing that the shutter speed is too fast. It's a bright scene with all that snow.

The focal plane shutter in the camera opens in two parts....one up and one down. With higher shutter speeds (1/250 and faster)...both parts are not fully open at the exact same time. The flash burst is so quick that it fires while only part of the shutter is open...thus giving you only half of the shot with flash exposure.

Find out the flash sync speed of your camera. That is the fastest you can use with flash.

More expensive flash units have high speed sync, which makes the flash fire many smaller bursts of flash...so that you can use a faster shutter speed.

5. Kent Frost

Kent Frost TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The fading from light to dark is too soft for it to be a shutter issue. If that were the issue, it would be more harsh as it fades from light to dark.

6. Tally Ho

Tally Ho TPF Noob!

Possibly, but I wonder if it depends on the aperture. Larger apertures would render a softer transfer I believe. A buddy of mine did this same thing years ago and couldn't figure it out so he showed me the images and asked what he had done wrong. As I remember in the images the line of demarcation was rather soft because he was shooting at f 5.6 (I think)and was one stop above synch, (I do remember that) plus the background was well lit, which may also help with blurring up the line.

TH

7. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Maybe.

Although, it's only fill flash...so the line may not be as defined as it would be in a dark room with flash as the main light, in which case it would be a black half of the photo (been there, done that)

8. Kent Frost

Kent Frost TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The thing is with the built-in fill flash, they won't generally let you shoot above the maximum sync speed unless you're shooting full manual, and usually not even then depending on the camera. This is the primary reason I was sure it was a lens hood.

I don't believe that's true when it concerns photographing a shadow. If the lens hood is casting a shadow, it won't matter what the F-Stop is.