Film and the airport

rob91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If I'm traveling with film do I have to worry about it going through the xray machine?

If you keep your films in your hand luggage you shouldn't have any problem. I never had any problems with film up to ISO 400 (and I read ISO 800 should not be a problem either). It might be a problem with more sensitive films such as ISO 3200. Never leave the films in your checked in luggage. Those are X-rayed with much more powerful machines, which will cause damage to your films. Here are some guidelines from Kodak to travel with films.

Remove the film from the cardboard box and plastic container. Place them in a clear plastic zip lock bag and request a hand check. I've never had a problem... I'll even say that i've been traveling around a lot and some of the negatives have been through an xray several times already. Never place them in with check-in luggage.

The TSA's policy is to hand-inspect film upon request, but they will give you flak for film under ISO 800. For years when I have traveled with film I have taken white tape and marked every single roll "Push 2 Stops ISO 1600"

All the TSA screeners need to see is ISO 1600 and they will hand swipe your film.

On the other hand I have run a number of tests with film and airport x-Ray machines and never had a problem with film ISO 1600 and under. TMax P3200 did fog. to do some of these tests I shot a roll of Fuji 1600 and had it run more than a dozen times through an X-Ray at two airports, the images were fine........that said, when I travel with film I always request a hand check.

For the TSA official policy on film, visit here:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1035.shtm

For detailed info on traveling as a photo, visit it my site for traveling photogs at www.flyingwithfish.com

Most reactions

Back