film, but related.

Yup. HP5 in 100- foot rolls is $50 and change, so $2.50 a roll or so. Cheaper than buying pre-rolled. Kentmere is even cheaper. Tri-X, on the other hand, went up to $100 for 100 feet, and now that means it's really not worth it to bulk roll Tri-X. I just buy that in bricks now.
i shoot a lot of color. I want a 100 feet of fuji color for ten bucks.....

i am going to keep this in mind, might end up trying it. My worry is if i get stuck on hp5 and loading or starting to develop bw i am limiting myself to bw and shoving myself in a box getting too stuck on the developing side and not enough on the photo taking side.. which i don't want to be stuck in bw. I think enough of myself as a person i should be allowed to shoot color too!!! LOL I am willing to pay a extra buck a roll and five bucks to develop per roll to shoot color. Can you imagine having to shoot christmas pics in bw? "sorry hun i just really have to use up this roll and it cost a extra dollar to shoot color".
if you are shooting at 2.50 a roll that is a game changer though for your shooting. i just dropped over fifty bucks at wally world buying 8/24 of fugji 800 and 8/24 of fuji 400.

what is the price difference between rolling your own and where are you getting these rolls...
As usual, the cost factor seldom makes the decision any easier. A hobbyist tends to spend money on stuff that doesn't actually make economic sense, but that may enhance his enjoyment of the hobby.

Besides the bulk roll, you will need a bulk roll loader and several reloadable canisters. Then you need either a really dark room, or a changing bag just to load the canisters. If you choose to develop the rolls at home, you're going to need some more stuff.

I used to load up some short rolls 8 or 10 useable frames just to keep things moving at a fast pace. Also, the short rolls don't drag on the floor when you hang them up to dry.

Of course, you're going to lose cost-efficiency with short rolls.
i like to shoot. I am looking for ways to drive down the costs of shooting film. Time is money to though, i don't want to marry it just find ways to make it more affordable. If i am saving a hundred bucks for a hour work i am all for it. If i am saving ten bucks for a hour work i think i will pass. I would like to make film cheap enough i dont have to give it up again. That is why i stopped film the first time it was becoming a very expensive hobby. What saves me with digital is i am picking and choosing certain photos to send to print. what killed me with film is they all went to print. i should probably just shut up and listen to limr clearly they have stayed on the frugal side of this equation....

Last edited:

$10 cheaper at B&H: Ilford HP5 Plus Black and White Negative Film 1656031 B H Photo

If you want to shoot color, then that's great. There's no reason to limit yourself to B&W just for economy. It happens to work out well for me because I like B&W. But I also like to shoot some things in color. But you're right - if it's one thing I know, it's how to live (and shoot film) on a shoestring budget ;)

I tend to go Kodak for color, but Fuji is a nice film. I've recently become quite enamored of Agfa Vista as well. My suggestion for buying film is to get it only at B&H, Adorama, or Freestyle. It will be a lot cheaper than getting it at a brick and mortar store. If you're going to go to Walmart, check online first. Sometimes I think they run a sale but only if you buy online and then pick up in the store. Buzz got a bunch of Fuji Superia that way for something like $2 a roll. I just looked at walmart.com and that doesn't seem to be the deal anymore, but maybe something like that will come up.

The thing that has made it possible for me to shoot more color is that I can get it developed cheaply. I'm lucky to have a local lab and that we've established a good relationship with the guys that work there.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

$10 cheaper at B&H: Ilford HP5 Plus Black and White Negative Film 1656031 B H Photo

If you want to shoot color, then that's great. There's no reason to limit yourself to B&W just for economy. It happens to work out well for me because I like B&W. But I also like to shoot some things in color. But you're right - if it's one thing I know, it's how to live (and shoot film) on a shoestring budget ;)

I tend to go Kodak for color, but Fuji is a nice film. I've recently become quite enamored of Agfa Vista as well. My suggestion for buying film is to get it only at B&H, Adorama, or Freestyle. It will be a lot cheaper than getting it at a brick and mortar store. If you're going to go to Walmart, check online first. Sometimes I think they run a sale but only if you buy online and then pick up in the store. Buzz got a bunch of Fuji Superia that way for something like $2 a roll. I just looked at walmart.com and that doesn't seem to be the deal anymore, but maybe something like that will come up.

The thing that has made it possible for me to shoot more color is that I can get it developed cheaply. I'm lucky to have a local lab and that we've established a good relationship with the guys that work there.
i need a local lab.....Dwaynes photo is looking like a viable option..which i dread the thought of.
i stopped at walmart to check on developing prices and where they send it. Too much $$ and they dont send back the negatives just a low res cd so forget that..

you loading your roll at night?

i need a local lab.....Dwaynes photo is looking like a viable option..which i dread the thought of.
i stopped at walmart to check on developing prices and where they send it. Too much $$ and they dont send back the negatives just a low res cd so forget that..

You only have to load the bulk loader in the dark. Once the 100-foot reel is inside the loader, it's safe. You can roll the canisters in a lighted room. You put attach the film to the spool, put it into the canister and close it up, then a lid goes over the whole thing and you crank the film onto the spool. The only film that gets exposed is a small part that attaches to the spool (which isn't really usable anyway since it's attached to the spool and doesn't reach the shutter plane) and the part that becomes the leader, which is exposed anyway.

I just rolled my 100 feet of HP5. I've got another 100 feet of Tri-X in the fridge for use at some later date.

You only have to load the bulk loader in the dark. Once the 100-foot reel is inside the loader, it's safe. You can roll the canisters in a lighted room. You put attach the film to the spool, put it into the canister and close it up, then a lid goes over the whole thing and you crank the film onto the spool. The only film that gets exposed is a small part that attaches to the spool (which isn't really usable anyway since it's attached to the spool and doesn't reach the shutter plane) and the part that becomes the leader, which is exposed anyway.

I just rolled my 100 feet of HP5. I've got another 100 feet of Tri-X in the fridge for use at some later date.
Thanks for the input. i don't want to use film for everything (not sure why you do) but for enjoyment and a certain look it comes in handy. Like my mother has a portrait of us kids from the late seventies. I would be hardpressed to mimic that with digital. But with a seventies film camera and seventies lens i can get it pretty damn near spot on. There is a feel and a certain look to film. Looking through my own photos, i can sorta see the difference over the years as i started with film and went to digital. Least I see the difference. Not so sure anyone else does. Instead of trying to recreate the feel of a photo digitally, i can just take it.

Damn.... now I gotta go bury the 35mm film I have.
funeral.gif

I never realized it was dead. I guess that explains the smell.

You might have zombie film, so if it's dead it doesn't really matter.

I was curious as to why expired film was selling on ebay for so gawd-blessed much these days.
you are right. Why is that. i have no idea but since i read this i started looking and it really is beyond my scope of reasoning. i can see a year, few months, whatever. Some of that stuff i wonder how usable it is at all.

you are right. Why is that. i have no idea but since i read this i started looking and it really is beyond my scope of reasoning. i can see a year, few months, whatever. Some of that stuff i wonder how usable it is at all.

I 'get' why it's in demand..... it can provide a look and feel that fresh film cannot. However, it baffles me why people pay an arm and a leg for a look and feel they cannot see when they pony up. It's a crap shoot. You may get a different look, but is it a look you're after? Or do you just accept it?

Me, I wanna know what my images are going to look like in the end. I don't want to spend my hard-earned disposable income on such a risk.

Now, I can understand someone subjecting fresh film to all sorts of environments that we normally wouldn't think of. Like setting the film on the dash of your car for a week in the summer. Yes, if you can create a look and feel you like, and then be able to replicate it.... that I could understand.

I can get Agfa Vista 200 and 400 for £1 a roll and for the price it is very good colours are about perfect

411-XL.jpg

I can get Agfa Vista 200 and 400 for £1 a roll and for the price it is very good colours are about perfect

411-XL.jpg
where??

I don't think I've seen film in a dollar store in many many years. I seriously doubt it's a viable option for this side of the Atlantic. Don't forget, bri, that Gary is in the UK and some film is cheaper there, plus he gets all his magic discounts.

Unless he wants to buy some for you and ship it over and you can just pay him. And if he's going to do that, then he can do that for me, too. Damn, Gary, you seriously have to start shipping us the filmz, yo!! And I want some ORWO at your club prices, too!

Most reactions

Back