Film camera bag

jc.dempsey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My brother recently inherited a Pentax k1000 with a 50mm lens and a telephoto zoom (not sure what the specs are). It came with a bunch of filters and film, but it was all in a plastic shopping bag.

Does anyone know of a camera bag that's somewhat stylish and can hold his gear? It would make a good Christmas present.

Thanks, Jack

'Stylish' is a rather ambiguous term. What's stylish for one person would be gauche for another. Is there a store that carries a variety of bags that sells gift cards? Perhaps an Amazon gift card.

By stylish I guess I meant not your standard black nylon with buckles.

Some of us prefer photo back packs to bags. It all depends on how much walking you do with your gear. If you take it out of the car and don't have to go far a bag is easier to use, but if there's hiking involved a pack is probably better. B&H generally has the best selection of anything photographic.

Some of us prefer photo back packs to bags. It all depends on how much walking you do with your gear.

My brother likes to spend a lot of time in NYC. Generally he likes street photography, although he just got the camera and hasn't had much time to use it.

Adorama or B&H would have plenty of choices. I'm wondering if one made for a mirrorless camera might be a good size; I'm thinking it would hold the camera with the 50mm lens mounted on it, and the telephoto lens in the other compartment.

Depends on what style you want to get, but looking at Adorama's site under shoulder bags the first ones that come up are closeouts, sales, etc. There was at least one that said it held a mirrorless and a point and shoot. Or some say for smaller DSLRs.

If you want something to hold film/filters maybe try looking for a pouch that could fit into the bag. But then you might need a large enough bag so might need to go with something meant for a DSLR. Although he may not carry all the filters every time he's using the camera.

If you wanted something vintage that was designed to hold film cameras you could try someplace like Midwest Photo Exchange, Pittsburgh Camera Exchange, or Columbus Camera Group.

Some of us prefer photo back packs to bags. It all depends on how much walking you do with your gear.

My brother likes to spend a lot of time in NYC. Generally he likes street photography, although he just got the camera and hasn't had much time to use it.

Then maybe a bag isn't what he needs. Perhaps a good strap, like a Black Rapid.

Do a quick search for Ona camera bag to see if that's what you're looking for. I have something similar, and love it. I have a thing for leather in general :D

A 50+ medium size 35mm manual wind camera does not take up much space, and a tele-zoom from the 80's era is not overly long, so a smallish bag would be adequate for such a kit. Adorama has a ton of bags. Camera bags are also sold used at thrift stores, often very affordably. Last month I picked up a very small LowPro for $2 at Deseret Industries...a bag I know retails for $79 new!!! And it was IMMACULATE! I could tell, it had barely been used! Score!

I realize for a gift, many people would never want to buy a used bag. I can also tell you that I used to work in a retail camera store,and we used to sell $5 wholesale overseas sourced bags for $34.95, and $7 wholesale bags for $49.95. Offshore-made, non-branded camera bags are highly marked up items, right behind filters in the outrageously marked up category.

The problem with a camera bag as a gift is that a bag or carry system is a rather personal choice. For walking around and carrying a camera, and two small lenses + a telezoom like Nikon's 70-300 f/4.5~5.6 VR-G, I actually prefer a fanny pack that has a water bottle slot on the right hand side, which tightly grips the 70-300 zoom. For me, the fanny pack/waist pack setup is vastly preferable to small camera bags. It cannot replace a medium or large bag, or a backpack, but then again, my backpack itself weighs about for pounds, empty.

Depending on how much you want to spend, Saddleback Leather has some great leather bags. I personally use the gadget bag ( Size Large ) for my 35mm and love it.

I use a Lowepro Sling 200AW bag for film as well as digital. Plenty of space and convenience. Great for riding the motorcycle too.

Most reactions

Back