Film camera for my photography class

avilamillar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I just got in a photography class and I need a film camera.

I have the nikkor micro 55mm, would this work with nikon film cameras?

this are the ones I have in mind:

N65
N70

Which one should i get?

any other camera you think would be a better option?

Thanks

Last edited:
N90s is the least I'd go if you're going auto. Considering the difference in cost, why even bother with less. I wouldn't get the N90 either as it doesn't have spot metering.

Thanks, I hadn't look at that one but it seems to be a lot better and there's not too much difference on the price.

so, would the lens I already have work for the n90s?

I have both the N65 and the N70 I can sell you for $100 with the zoom lens, shipped CON-US? Take your pick?

Batteries not included.

paul ron, nyc
[email protected]

What exactly is the lens? Is it a full manual lens or is it a AF lens? If it's a manual lens and if you have no plan to get AF lens, then you can just go with a manual body. If you plan to use AF, then of course, get a camera that AF.

Of course, most AF body can accept a manual lens, but then what's the point?

Other things to consider are features like matrix/spot metering and so on. If you are getting this camera just for the class, I'd recommend the most basic camera. It will be good for your learning.

In my opinion, I wouldn't get an auto camera for a class. Using fully manual will help you understand the way cameras work better than auto cameras. I would look for an older manual body like an FM, or FM2.

In my opinion, I wouldn't get an auto camera for a class. Using fully manual will help you understand the way cameras work better than auto cameras. I would look for an older manual body like an FM, or FM2.

Agreed. Get the simplest manual camera with manual focusing. There are a number a decent ones available on ebay really cheap or check your local pawn shops. Minolta SRTs are good simple ones built like tanks. Pentax K1000 are good too. If it's just for a class I wouldn't worry so much which as long as it works and it's cheap. Just get one lens and be done with it :D

In my opinion, I wouldn't get an auto camera for a class. Using fully manual will help you understand the way cameras work better than auto cameras.

+2

Why bother taking a class if you're going to shoot in auto? Defeats the purpose and really limits your ability to practice and explore exposure.

The Pentax K1000 is a classic and you can find them cheap on Ebay.

so, would the lens I already have work for the n90s?
I don't think so but you'd have to try it to be sure. A 55mm lens designed to cover the 18x24mm sensor of a digital camera probably will not cover the 24x36mm frame of 35mm. You'll get vignetting.

When I say "try it to be sure" I don't mean just stick it on the camera and peek through the viewfinder. You have to process the film. The 55mm lens from my wife's digital fits my 35mm just fine and things even look good through the viewfinder. But when I process the film I get vignetting.

I also have 2 K1000 my kids used for their photogrpahy classes. It's a wonderful camera and has some great lenses available for it.

If you'd like one of those with a lens, e-mail me?

I'd suggest (from cheapest to most expensive):

Nikon FG ($30)
Nikon FE/FE2 ($50)
Nikon F3 ($120)
Nikon F100 ($220)

Why buy a plastic consumer grade camera when the higher quality camera bodies are so cheap these days?

I looked for some cameras like the Nikon FG, FE/FE2, and Pentax K1000 but i didnt find any for the price y found a N90S, so I got the N90S. I really like it. and the lens I had (Nikkor micro 55mm f/3.5) works with it.

Is there any other cheap lenses that will work with this camera??

Most reactions

Back