Film Camera Fun - new Nikon N75 and 50mm f/1.4 G

shivaswrath

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So being on a budget and realizing I can't justify another dSLR in the home (read Wife not convinced enough yet!), I sprung for a used SLR on ebay; I was aiming for a F100, but ended up with a N75 for about $39.99.

I'm not sure if any of you have made the reverse transition, but it was comical to say the least:
1. Ruined one roll of film because I was a monkey and didn't load it correctly on first attempt.
2. Had other numerous error messages pop up, etc.

But the pluses are awesome:
1. Viewfinder!!!! Love that I can frame and see EVERYTHING (or at least more than the DX crop sensors allow).
2. Shutter - just solid, different sounding, and reminded me of the Pentax my Dad used to fire off with when I was a kiddo.
3. Delayed gratification - in this day in age of everything being immediate, taking pics and messing with them on CS3 before uploading them to every site known to man (websites, facebook, flickr, etc.) and never enjoying actual prints, it's nice that I have 6 shots left on my iso 800 film to take before I go and develop my (probably) blurry and unusable shots!

I also got my nifty fifty (took forever, had to order it twice since Adorama took too long):
DSC_0914.JPG

And some fun samples I took with my D40x, no post-processing, Auto WB and AUTO ISO (since I was being lazy). . .
DSC_0946.JPG

DSC_0981.JPG

DSC_0985.JPG

DSC_1002.JPG

DSC_1005.JPG

DSC_1029.JPG

DSC_1070.JPG

I'm def loving this new prime, and am stoked that I can use it on the film and digital bodies. . . .

The great thing is... for $50 you can now produce better images then if you spend $1000 on a digital body. ;)

Of course there's the film cost and the fact that digital makes it easier to experiment, but we won't talk about those factors.

The great thing is... for $50 you can now produce better images then if you spend $1000 on a digital body. ;)

Yes...very true.

But any who

Yeah, just about anyone who has ever shot film knows about the lost roll of film, it's sad but it's something you learn, often the hard way. I misloaded my TLb the first time and then again on July fourth wile trying to load in the dark in a hurry, I snapped a roll off its cassete spool in my EF once and that's about it for now. Don't let it bother you too much, it happens.

The N75 works with AF-S lenses?

I didn't know that, I thought it still had to use the aperture ring like the Nx00x's

The N75 works with AF-S lenses?

I didn't know that, I thought it still had to use the aperture ring like the Nx00x's

Nope it works with the AF-S just fine. I have been on the lookout for a N80 as of late for the same reason. Plus my SB600 and SB800 work just fine on them as well. I enjoy shooting film alongside of my D300, and a local camera store does high res. scans... I love film.

wow very cool! im sure that af-s 1.4 set you back a pretty penny (at least it is for me, the broke college student) haha

it wasn't too bad - $394 with free shipping and no tax from J&R after Google Checkout special.

I got the clear filter for it as well, which as about $33 more.

I'm pretty happy so far - pictures from the film have been amazing, and in low light situations, I have been limited only by the film I use (800).

This is my first "real" lens, so I've been very impressed how the body is hardly the limiting factor. . .

Most reactions

Back