Film camera or a digital...?

BrianV, thanks for the tip.
I will get me some books and start reading.....and learn some things:)

Thanks all for good tip and helping me starting with a camera with film. It feels good to say that, I can not wait to try it out.

All the best.

Had a look in some old bags today, oh..what is that?
Yes, a lens, one more. These one also in the original leather "bag". Nice.
These is a 1:1.8/55 2576787

So, now my "new" camera has 3 original lenses. The bag also had 2, what shall I call it(?), (sunshades?), to screw onto the lens.

Now the film is loaded in, time to try it. For me, these vintage camera feels high tech, yes...Maybe I am crazy...:)

Last edited:
"The bag also had 2, what shall I call it(?), (sunshades?), to screw onto the lens."
They are called "hoods".

Timor, do you mean hoods, as in protective hoods for the lens?
The on in the bag was hollow, looking like a lens body.

that's what it sounds like norway, and have fun with the film, can't wait to see the results. both ways are fine imo, they are just different. what matters is how much patience you have. you can get same quality, and in some instances better with film. i have both and love both, but seriously? large format man, just get yourself a nice horseman, or graflex and a comfy wide brimmed hat cuz you might be in the sun for a while lol.

Had a look in some old bags today, oh..what is that?
Yes, a lens, one more. These one also in the original leather "bag". Nice.
These is a 1:1.8/55 2576787

So, now my "new" camera has 3 original lenses. The bag also had 2, what shall I call it(?), (sunshades?), to screw onto the lens.

Now the film is loaded in, time to try it. For me, these vintage camera feels high tech, yes...Maybe I am crazy...:)

the 55/1.8 is very good lens to start with, and is good in low light. The Lens Hoods, which serve as Sun Shades, screw into the end of the lenses as noted. There are engravings in the Pentax made hoods to indicate which lenses to use them on.

I mostly shoot film, but I've never refereed to it as analog...

I don't call it analog either. It seem like such a nerdy term. I just call it film photography or sometimes chemical photography.

^ Well, technically, film is analog so the term is valid. And, analog has earned a certain cachet as being "cool" in other mediums like vinyl records, tube amplifiers, etc. I grew up with film so I just think of it as plain old photography with no real adjective necessary I guess.

I attend camera shows regularly here in Southern California. I have a table and buy and sell cameras and related photo stuff but mostly I just and chat with the attendees and other sellers. I've been doing that for many years now. It has given me a window into the reality of photo enthusiasts as the years go by and in recent years I've been seeing many young people who have never used a film camera before yet they are photographers. It seems so odd to me but that's the way it is. It's a completely different scene then it used to be. Last weekend I sold a young lady photographer a Retina. It was her first film camera. She knew nothing about rangefinders or setting apertures and shutter speeds or loading film and so on yet she was a photographer. She's a very nice lady and as bright as can be but was completely unfamiliar with the things that we film guys consider the basics of photography. But, she just loved the look and feel of that Retina. Anyway, she was enthralled with the camera and bought it and I hope she has a lovely time using it. She is but one example of many young people I talk to regularly at these shows. I can see that the photography scene has changed so dramatically with the advent of digital cameras. But, I digress ...

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip regarding what lens to start with. The hoods are on, thanks for the link.
I am going out now, sun, bright day, snow and -27C so the clear sky and snow looks soooo nice.
Hope it will on the photo to:)

A good day all.

I think that the only way to learn photography is through film cameras. Yes, film cameras are expensive to shoot but it really transform you to an artist. Shooting digital gives you the luxury of shooting hundreds of images, where as film cameras, you just take 1 good shot.

I think that the only way to learn photography is through film cameras. Yes, film cameras are expensive to shoot but it really transform you to an artist. Shooting digital gives you the luxury of shooting hundreds of images, where as film cameras, you just take 1 good shot.
Or just one bad shot.

if you want to emulate the limited amount of shots you get with film, you should just carry one tiny memory card.

I would say start with digital and grab a film camera when your ready. Film isn't to spendy if you shoot sparingly. I only shoot two rolls a month for fun.

Most reactions

Back