"Film Camera"

Donde

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Who'd a thunk it...the etymological term for that phrase is "retronym".

Meh. Digital cameras still get presented as "D" SLRs.

Nothing here. ;)

The majority of digital cameras have a shape similar to that of cameras designed to run 35mm film between two spools. Cameras that don't have these spools but adhere to the traditional shape are by definition retro since for reasons of functionality there is no necessity for them to have this form.

The majority of digital cameras have a shape similar to that of cameras designed to run 35mm film between two spools. Cameras that don't have these spools but adhere to the traditional shape are by definition retro since for reasons of functionality there is no necessity for them to have this form.
With the exception the form is fitting to the hands. Just because there is a different "medium" inside and has similar design. Doesn't mean they are copying something from the past if the form factor is the same. Film cameras don't need the SLR type form. Look at the original Brownies, TLR's, 6x6 Hassleblads, Bronicas all use spooled films but different form factors. The basic 35mm design is easy for people to handle.

With the exception the form is fitting to the hands. Just because there is a different "medium" inside and has similar design. Doesn't mean they are copying something from the past if the form factor is the same. Film cameras don't need the SLR type form. Look at the original Brownies, TLR's, 6x6 Hassleblads, Bronicas all use spooled films but different form factors. The basic 35mm design is easy for people to handle.
I wonder how future alien archaeologists would picture (no pun intended) the users of our d slr cameras? One eye beings with thirty fingers?

I didn't mention SLR, I have a bunch of 35mm cameras that aren't reflex or system type. The point is that most digitals resemble one or another of the 35mm type cameras, they having been the type of film cameras with the lion's share of the market and so with familiar and trusted designs that have continuing appeal. Cameras that had other spooled film formats were a much smaller part of the market and less interesting for the makers to continue/copy. What really clinches it though is that instant film cameras didn't and don't have similar designs to 35mm cameras: they look different because what's inside is different.

I can buy film at Walmart or CVS, and I have also seen Lomography products sold at book stores and a few hipster-ish type clothing stores. I won't buy film at those places, though, because of the ridiculous price premium, but they are still options.

Well, I did get some Lomo roll film and a couple of packs of Instax a few months back when I saw them on the sale shelves at Barnes and Noble.

Most reactions

Back